Home > Interview > Sales Pain funnel

Sales Pain funnel

Is anyone familiar with the "Pain Funnel" enough to explain it? I learned about this line of questioning a while back and tried to look it up on Google today but didn't find much of anything. :( - by haggler236
Is anyone familiar with the "Pain Funnel" enough to explain it? I learned about this line of questioning a while back and tried to look it up on Google today but didn't find much of anything. :(
The "Pain Funnel" is a term that was coined by the late David Sandler. It is a technique used for questioning a prospect. The Sandler Selling System is a radical departure from traditonal sales training. It would be difficult to understand the techniques without orientation in the system's tenets and premises. However, in a nutshell it goes like this. Sandler advocated dispensing with feature and benefit selling. Instead he led the prospect through a series of questions to uncover the prospects present pain. The more he uncovered, the deeper he probed. He theorized, as many do, that buying is an emotional process.

When the pain reached an apex in the sales conversation, he offered solutions. But even then he asked for the prospect to reinforce his/her willingness to accept the solutions.

Intermixed with the process was Sandler's use of "strip lining", a linguistic technique that forces the prospect to make a decision whether to continue the interaction on the saleperson's terms or exit it.

I have used "strip lining" in my selling for years. Most of Sandler's model makes use of some variation of it. - by Gary A Boye
I didn't know about Sandler. I remember there was a sequence for delving deeper and deeper. Does that sound right? Do you remember the questions?

I haven't heard of strip lining. When would this be used? - by haggler236
I didn't know about Sandler. I remember there was a sequence for delving deeper and deeper. Does that sound right? Do you remember the questions?
I don't us a "pain funnel" in my system of selling, so I can't detail the questions. I probe to find the risk rather than the pain.

With regard to strip lining, it is not exclusive to Sandler. I started a thread back in July on "striplining" (spelled as one word). I gave a brief example. It's at http://www.salespractice.com/forums...ght=striplining

The thread didn't arouse much interest. - by Gary A Boye
Instead he led the prospect through a series of questions to uncover the prospects present pain.
I've searched high and low for these questions on the Internet but haven't found anything. They must keep these questions under lock and key. - by haggler236
Still Dont get it? How does the Technique work, and why is it called Pain Funnel? why would u name a sales Technique a pain funnel? - by Sanddollar
Still Dont get it? How does the Technique work, and why is it called Pain Funnel? why would u name a sales Technique a pain funnel?
The advocate of the system, David Sandler, used the metaphor "pain funnel" to designate a technique for asking a series of questions in the sales interview that would uncover the prospect's present pain. Upon reaching that point, he was prepared to offer a solution in the form of his product or service.

For comparatives, and for the sake of discussion, what do you probe in your own sales interviews with prospects? - by Gary A Boye
The Sandler Pain Funnel has been around for a long time and pdf copies are not hard to find in Google, if that helps. - by corkked
Doesn't the pain funnel go something like:

Surface Problems -> Business Reasons -> Personal Impacts -> Review/Summary - by Vito
The pain funnel is a term that is used that means to get your prospect to reveal the logical and emotional reason they are wanting to buy your solution. Many times buyers provide a fake reason so they don't reveal too much about their situation. There are many techniques to bring prospects through this funnel.

EXAMPLE:

CUST: "Do you have any information on (Let's say a car for instance)?

YOU: "John, why do you think you need information on a new car?"

CUST: "Oh I may be in the market for a new one."

YOU: "Why not just keep the one you have?"

CUST: "Oh it's getting a bit older."

YOU: "Yeah John I know but my Dad is getting older and we don't replace him, why take on this expense if your old car works fine?"

CUST: "That's the problem Bill, it broke down on me