Home > Cold Calling > Leave a voice-mail or keep calling back?

Leave a voice-mail or keep calling back?

When a salesperson's intial prospecting calls are not being returned by the prospect should the salesperson keep calling back or leave a voice-mail and hope for the best? - by Community Mailbox
Well if you are calling and not leaving voice mail, how is the person supposed to call you back? So voice mail is a must, the very first time you dial the prospects and get their outbound message. The issue is the type of voice mail you leave and the desired results and realities.

Good luck, - by Tibor Shanto
State I have tried to connect with you........ times and certainly you must have received my letter or voice mail. I understand your are busy and I like you do not like to be hounded. This is my last correspondence to you. If you feel I can assist you I look forward to your call. If not I wish you the best and hope our paths might cross in the future.

Then move on. There are too many rude and unprofessional people in the world and too many selling professionals waste time with negative non decisive people. Work on your strengths and those that desire your service.

Good Selling.

Drew - by Drew Stevens
There are 2 different scenarios where you might be faced with the choice of whether or not to leave a message:

The first is when you're calling from a long list. Let's say that you have 200 prospects to call and you're simply going through that list. In that case, when you get a prospect's voice mail, hang up and call somebody else. The time you spend first listening to the message and then leaving your own message is wasted time. Try that particular prospect again 3-4 more times and if you're not able to reach them directly, put that lead aside.

The second scenario is when you have a highly targeted list. You have a handful of specific prospects that you want to reach and you have a specific reason that you want to reach these particular prospects now.

In this case, if you can't reach the prospect directly then leave a message. You'll have to leave more than one message because the likelihood of someone returning your call from one voice mail message is very slim. Instead, create a message campaign.

Craft a series of messages that you can leave for the prospect. Each message should focus on the benefit or value that you (your company/product/service) bring to customers. Leave your message every 3-5 business days. It should take you a month to 6 weeks to do this. By the end of this time if you haven't heard back, you probably are not going to. Most prospects will respond to this type of consistent campaign. The key is to have something compelling to say that focuses on value.

You can really only successfully handle this type of campaign with a few prospects at a time. It's important to keep track of the messages you are leaving. - by Wendy Weiss
I get asked this question a lot. I've left over 35,000 voice mail messages in my career and I've test every imaginable strategy. Here are a few quick thoughts:

1. Don't leave the typical voice mail that every salesperson leaves. The typical message usually sounds something like, "Hi, this is Joe Salesperson and I'm calling to introduce myself. Our company specializes in ______ and I'm just calling to see if you have any needs (or projects) that I can help you with. For an alternative approach, you can listen to a recorded webinar I conducted on voice mail strategies.

2. Whenever possible, leave messages for more than 1 person in the account. This way, you can leverage the other execs and mention that you are also planning to reach out to them.

3. Make sure you follow up to your previous message within 3 days. Otherwise, you'll lose momentum.

4. Consider using email in addition to voice mail. 3 years ago I saw much better results with voice mail. Today, email has it beat hands down. After leaving a voice mail, follow up with an email and you'll see twice the call-back rate. Here's an article on using email as a prospecting tool. - by Jake Atwood
When a salesperson's intial prospecting calls are not being returned by the prospect should the salesperson keep calling back or leave a voice-mail and hope for the best?
Some terrific ideas here from awesome experts.

I would add to shake up your follow up, all with valid business reasons as opposed to