Home > Customer Service > The customer is always right?

The customer is always right?

Abusive customes are everywhere which makes me question the adage of the customer is always right. Is there a second part to this or a hidden meaning that takes into account customers who lie, cheat or are abusive to get their way? - by Community Mailbox
We could probably do a 4 hour Seminar on this Subject. Of course you will always have Customers or Prospects who fall into those categories. Part of our Job is to find out why they feel and act like they do and then determine if there is something we can do to correct the situation. Did they have a bad experience and simply need to vent their anger and frustrtion. Possibly they were lied to and cheated. Use an Instructional Statement like; "IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU'VE HAD A BAD EXPERIENCE, PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT" to get them to open up.

Have a "FANTA$TIC Future!
Stan Billue, CSP - by Stan Billue
Abusive customes are everywhere which makes me question the adage of the customer is always right. Is there a second part to this or a hidden meaning that takes into account customers who lie, cheat or are abusive to get their way?
I think that the "right" customers are always right.

The "right" customers for your business/product/service are the ones who want/need what you are offering, are willing to pay a fair price, and conduct business in a professional manner. If you sell Mercedes, and the client is looking for a Honda -- they aren't the right customer. If they want a Mercedes at a Honda price -- they aren't the right customer. And if they want to do business in a less-than-honest or disrespectful way -- they aren't the right customer.

The easiest way to "get rid" of these kind of customers is to simply tell them, "I don't think our business/product/service is a good fit for what you are looking for." It's truthful, and yet doesn't let you get drawn into any emotional or contentious discussion.

Good luck!
Terri Z - by Terri Zwierzynski
Customers are no different than SR's: we're people who have good days and bad days. (It gets really interesting when the two collide!)

Customers DO have the ultimate say on what we do, so, SR's need to "accommodate" the idiosyncracies and absorb a certain level of abuse (each SR will find their own tolerance level).

Mid-way through my tenure at Xerox, I was cold-calling, went into a new account and introduced myself to the decision maker who instantly went-off on me. It was bewildering, vindictive, and fairly insulting as I stood there offering my hand. Without saying a word, I stepped back out of her office, turned completely around and walked back into the room and (re) introduced myself as if I'd never been there before. The tirade stopped; the office went eerily quiet and she asked, "what just happened?" I said, "I'm not sure, I seemed to have been mistaken for someone else because I've never been here before, so, couldn't possibly be responsible ... how can I help?"

In the B2B world, it's safe to assume that everyone in the office has the best interests of the company on their minds. Sometimes it takes a moment to revise that first (mistaken) impression.

Good luck & Good selling!
Pat - by OUTSource Sales
I believe the adage is about providing good customer service. Are they always right? No way.

It's important to manage customer relationships well. Obviously, different industries/businesses present different challenges. But the relationship is always important.

When considering whether the customer is "always right," take some time to think about what agreeing with them or doing whatever they're asking for is worth it to you. If it is, make the sacrifice. But if it's a bad business decision that's going to harm your business or harm the relationship, you'd be better off disagreeing with them upfront (and explaining why in a strong, clear manner).

Following the adage just because it's a popular saying could put you in a bad spot. It's important to build valuable communication/negotiation skills that enable you to push back on a customer in a respectful, productive way that protects you and keeps the relationship strong. Otherwise, you agree to things that are harmful to you and/or your business - in my experience, when this happens, we end up looking to extract value somewhere else, which will only lead to the damaged relationship you were trying to avoid in the first place.

Good luck,
Stephen - by sfrenkel
When I was doing a lot of sales training, I would tell my clients, "the customer isn't always right, but they are always the customer."
Your decision is to determine if they are the right customer for you and your business because everyone won't be. If the customer is important, then you need to develop a workable relationship, hopefully that is based on trust and mutual respect. Otherwise you will be spending a lot of time and energy that could be better used on other prospects or current customers.
Gerry - by GerryMyers
I'm not sure what you're getting at with "the second part" of customers are always right or "The hidden meaning", but I agree with the others that customer are [of course] not always right.

But to me, this discussion really misses the point. Selling isn't about who's right and who's not right. It's about two parties forging an agreement that will ostensibly benefit both parties. That should be our focus as salespeople. - by Skip Anderson
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.