Home > Prospecting > Is the internet a prospecting distraction?

Is the internet a prospecting distraction?

Using the internet for prospecting seems to be a distraction sometimes. Are we better off prospecting the old fashion way? - by cederey
If your meaning of "the old way" is telephone prospecting, I'd suggest that it is not new nor old; millions of dollars are generated every week by sales professionals who prospected via the phone.

The internet adds valuable tools for prospecting, too, and undoubtedly, some salespeople are trying to make it work when they should be honing their skills on telephone prospecting.

In the end, I don't believe it's an "either/or" proposition. I think both strategies are, and will continue to be, important for many (and probably most) salespeople.

Skip - by Skip Anderson
Depends. What product or service do you sell? What is the size of your territory? - by Jerry Bresser
In the end, I don't believe it's an "either/or" proposition. I think both strategies are, and will continue to be, important for many (and probably most) salespeople.
I'm with you Skip. The phone has to be used no matter how technically savvy we get. Thanks for your comment.

Ced - by cederey
Depends. What product or service do you sell? What is the size of your territory?
Jerry, thanks for your participation. I market Business Legal Plans to small business owners. My territory is about a 50 mile radius but I also market online nationwide.

Ced - by cederey
If you are in a sales business - like selling cars - where most sales come from "walk ins" the phone is not taught as a tool and most car dealerships have a specialized person for the Internet.

But if you are not "retail" Skip is bang on. - by Gold Calling
Depends on what you do on the internet. It can be a blackhole if your using it as an avoidance tool. It can be a goldmine if you are strategic and then pick up the phone and initiate contact -- like Skip addressed early on. - by Connie Kadansky
I want to add something to my previous post;

Use the Internet in non productive hours. Then, if it benefits you, it is a bonus. And the same holds true for mail campaigns, arrange them on Saturday or in the evening, not when you could be working.

Same with email, most of it is a waste of productive hours, be ruthless, only do what you have to do during your 9 to 5 or 8 to 6 or whatever hours you work, do the rest at night. And eliminate all that is not producing business.

During productive ours use any form of direct contact you can to generate new business; people you meet in public; the phone; walk into businesses. This is not OLD, they are sales practices ... professional ones. And, if you cannot do them through lack of trainign and lack of practice you will earn less than you are worth. - by Gold Calling
The telephone and the internet are only two of many different ways of prospecting. You should utilize as many different ways as you can. The more lines you have in the water the better chance you have of catching a fish. - by Jim Klein
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.