Home > Personal Selling > What do you think of this statement?

What do you think of this statement?

I will tell you where ti came from later, but what do you think of this quote?

"Prospects increasingly want to 'think it over'" - by Gold Calling
"Prospects increasingly want to 'think it over'"
With the state of the economy being what it is I think more and more people do want to think it over and make sure it's the right thing to do. - by realtor
The "I want to think about it" phrase is nothing new in sales, it has been used as a defensive tactic as long as their have been sales situations. I believe and teach that the phrase is not a legit objection, but an excuse. It is a phrase the prospect evokes when they want to get away from the pressure regarding making a positive buying decision. It is not a legit objection as if it is answered it will not result in the sales.

Most sales people when encountered with this excuse reply back, "what do you need to think about." Thus hurting their sale in numerous ways as they are having the prospect confirm the excuse all the while ignoring the real objection that is buried beneath the surface of the "think about it" excuse.

Handling this excuse correctly can many times significantly increase the closing ratio for sales people, but how to do that is another post... - by Joeylean
Okay, David, if I may, with your permission, let's redirect this thread, the part that created my interest is the word "increasingly" ... what is the validity of the quote (which happens to come from a large, well known training company) with that word included - I repeat;

By the way, suppose you were a trained trainer from Huthwaite, SPIN teaches that you missed something if you heard the I want to think it over comment from a prospect. Meaning you did not establish enough value in the prospect's mind - not that I use SPIN, I don't but it is useful to see their insight.

Big time closers going back to J. Douglas Edwards had a very sharp way to deal with this indeed.

And a good friend of mine, now retired in Australia, made a lot of money because he could teach his sales people how to deal with that situation (and others) using a similar approach.

In my mind the reason the majority of the time why the sale is not closed at this stage is the sale's person's fault, not the prospects. Therefore EXCUSE might not be the best choice to categorize this statement, I think we need to take a hard look in the mirror before we place blame at the prospect's feet.

My guess is newbies would just care about knowing how to deal with it, feeling that what us trainers want to call it is a little less important.

I am wiling to share what Edwards and my Ozzy bud used to deal with this - how about we focus on the word increasingly, what does this tell us (if anything)? - by Gold Calling
I would completely agree that the responsibility falls at the feet of the sales person and not the prospect, the sales person is responsible for the sales. However, I would strongly contend that we must not simply use sales tactics, but a strategy and therefore understand the psychology behind the phrase, "I need to think about it" as this guides us regarding how we can move past this and overcome the true, hidden objection.

The real danger with this excuse or any excuse is that it masks the real objection and until the real objection is found and overcome the sale cannot occur. I think it is vital for a new sales person to understand the difference between an excuse and an objection as you will handle them differently. An excuse is something that if you were to overcome would not result in the sale, whereas an objection, if overcome will result in the sale. An excuse can be a detour to the sale and cause a new sales person or even an experienced one to ignore the objection that is keeping the prospect from buying and go off on a pointless and fruitless chase after an excuse that will lead nowhere.

I would caution us as sales people to remember the sales is a craft and that strategies and tactics should go hand in hand. The state of mind or psychology of the prospect is more important than the words spoken for out of the heart the mouth speaks... - by Joeylean
Regarding the term “increasingly” I would agree that the “I need to think about it” excuse most often happens, but not always, because of poor implementation of an effective sales process. Although, I am not sure how one would know that the “I need to think about it” phrase is “increasingly” being utilized without exhaustive research… - by Joeylean
I will tell you where ti came from later, but what do you think of this quote?

The first thing I think of when reading that quote is "who says" and "what reason do they give"? - by Houston
... I am not sure how one would know that the “I need to think about it” phrase is “increasingly” being utilized without exhaustive research…
Exactly my thought process David, glad you caught it.

Anyone else able to make an enlightening comment about this? - by Gold Calling
I think the phrase 'increasingly' is said by trainers seeking positive acknowledgement/agreement from salespeople.

It is the perfect 'get out' for under performance...and is a great bandwagon to jump onto.

I can see the trainer now walking around the class nodding whilst asking 'who here thinks that customers are increasingly wanting to think about it.

It's like .........'let's all agree that customers increasingly want to think about it.......I'll teach you 'three ways to get round the problem' to jsutify my fees........and you can always fall back on the excuse if things don't get better.

We all win...yipee. - by helisell
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.