Home > Personal Selling > What makes a Sale?

What makes a Sale?

Wanted to begin a post on ideas of how is a sale created? What does the sales person have to do to have the sale occur? - by Joeylean
What does the sales person have to do to have the sale occur?
With some sales situations, a retail experience comes to mind, all a sales person has to do is ring up the sale. - by Houston
What does the salesperson have to do to make the sale occur?

The answers are going to be different depending on the situation wouldn't you say David? - by Liberty
Bill Brooks once wrote, "The secret to professional selling is to be in front of a qualified prospect when he or she is ready to buy and then to present your product or service in such a way that it solves his or her problem, addresses his or her need, or satisfies a want he or she may have. It's that simple." - by Houston
Bill Brooks once wrote, "The secret to professional selling is to be in front of a qualified prospect when he or she is ready to buy and then to present your product or service in such a way that it solves his or her problem, addresses his or her need, or satisfies a want he or she may have. It's that simple."
Obviously Brooks changed his mind, or better still it validates the obvious--that there is no ONE secret to success in selling. On another thread you posted the following quote:

"The secret of selling is never in the selling. Instead, it is always in the continuous act of prospecting." --Bill Brooks

So perhaps it isn't really that simple as Brooks says. But if I had to personally choose one statement to serve as a reply to the topic "What Makes a Sale", I would go with what I learned from Frank Bettger many years ago: "Finding out what people want, and helping them get it."
- by Ace Coldiron
Anyone who hasn't read Bettger's classic on sales "How I Raised Myself From Failure To Success In Selling" needs to read it. What Ace said is always absolutely true.

The couple we met at a bridal shower wanted what we sell. How did we know - sales is a conversation with a destination [Zig Zigler] so we had a conversation.

The man who came to haul off some wood from my property today - the third day in a row - wanted what we sell. How did I know? Through casual conversation and, "What I sell can help that."

We run radio advertising and when calls come in we find out if what we have the caller wants.

You find out by asking.

MitchM - by MitchM
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.