Home > Cold Calling > How to find people who want to buy real estate

How to find people who want to buy real estate

I want to find buyers instead of waiting for buyers to find me. Referrals and networking are taking too long. I'm willing to make telephone calls and knock on doors but how do I find out who to call or visit? How do I build a highly targeted list of prospects to call or visit? - by realtor
I want to find buyers instead of waiting for buyers to find me. Referrals and networking are taking too long. I'm willing to make telephone calls and knock on doors but how do I find out who to call or visit? How do I build a highly targeted list of prospects to call or visit?
Over the years, I have had real estate salespeople as my clients in my sales training programs, who start out by saying the same thing.

But every "For Sale By Owner" sign, has a potential sale for you....actually two sales. First, is getting them to 'list the house they are trying to sell, with you', second 'helping them find their new house'. - by Paulette Halpern
Over the years, I have had real estate salespeople as my clients in my sales training programs, who start out by saying the same thing.
I was hoping others had come before me and would know which way to go. Besides working a "For Sale By Owner" did you or your clients come up with any other options?

Over and over again I keep reading the advice, 'build a list of highly targeted prospects' to call on so there must be ways that others are consistently and systematically doing this. :dun - by realtor
I was hoping others had come before me and would know which way to go. Besides working a "For Sale By Owner" did you or your clients come up with any other options?

Over and over again I keep reading the advice, 'build a list of highly targeted prospects' to call on so there must be ways that others are consistently and systematically doing this. :dun
Everyone of those "For Sale By Owner" is your list, you could call every homeowner imaginable and ask them "Are you in need of a larger or smaller home?", but you already have people 'showing you they are interested in selling' by their own admission by having a home for sale by owner.

I am not a realtor; I am a sales trainer; who has worked with real estate agents to 'sell more'.

If you don't have the skills to convert some of those to your listings and then work to find them a buyer and then sell them another property -- improve those skills. - by Paulette Halpern
My friend Craig Elias talks about identifying trigger events to get in front of prospects at the right time. That's difficult in real estate, but not impossible. For instance, one trigger event would be corporations bringing in new employees from out of town. If you can build a relationship with a half-dozen large corporations in your area, you might be able to position yourself as the relocation expert that works with all their new hires who will be moving to your area.

Another trigger event in residential real estate is being pregnant. But this is difficult to research, but maybe somebody has cracked that nut and can give us all an education on how to do that.

Building a "highly targeted list" can be challenging in residential real estate because it's hard to identify trigger events, and homeowners buy and sell their homes very privately. One way to build your list, but it's not necessarily very targeted, is to do an email newsletter that is helpful, not just a sales pitch. If you have home maintenance tips, recipes, design articles, etc., some customers will find this information helpful and you will go to the top of their list when they are looking to make a change, but building a readership take a great deal of time and effort. - by Skip Anderson
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.