Home > Personal Development > The Right Attitude

The Right Attitude

Having the right attitude is always the number one key to success.

The right attitude will take work serioiusly. The right attitude will be skill oriented. The right attitude will seek success. The right attitude will be constantly looking for opportunity. The right attitude will be self protective and alert to potential problems. The right attitude will be cultivated daily.

Years ago I found a drawing in sequence of an event on the ledge of a very high mountain top where monks came to meditate and find enlightenment. The guru or inspired monk had a stern look on his face in the first panel with serious looking monks all around.

In the next few panels monks swept steps, meditated, washed the dishes.

Then came disaster as the ledge of the mountain top was breaking off. Monks had looks of horror and awe on their faces. They were falling to their deaths. They were in mortal pain. Their mouths were open in howls and screams and speechlessness born of the sudden realization that it was all over - their lives were ending.

On the second to the last panel monks were falling into the abys with looks of horror on their faces.

Then came the final panel. Plunging to his demise was the guru, the inspired enlightened one with a look of absolute joy on his face as he reached out and at the tip of his fingers growing out of the side of the mountain was a berry bush.

On the way out of earthly life he was still looking for opportunity, still seeking pleasure, still focused on the gain of the moment.

He had the right attitude.

MitchM - by MitchM
Excellent post MitchM. Really! thmbp2; - by Houston
Having the right attitude is always the number one key to success.
I know a lot of people will disagree with me here, but I'm going to say this anyway:

"Attitude" is a means to an end, not an end in and of itself. In my opinion, the right sales skills are the number one key to sales success. Now it's true that you might need a good attitude to keep doing those skills over and over, but it's the skills themselves that are the "end game".

For example, in sports, it's the guy who catches the passes most often that is the success; or the guy who hits the homeruns; or the woman who crosses the finish line first; or the golfer who gets the ball in the cup with less strokes. This is ginely-honed skill at work.

You can have great success if you possess great sales skill and a mediocre attitude, but you can't have great success if you possess a great attitude and mediocre sales skill.

Skip - by Skip Anderson
I know a lot of people will disagree with me here, but I'm going to say this anyway:

"Attitude" is a means to an end, not an end in and of itself. In my opinion, the right sales skills are the number one key to sales success. Now it's true that you might need a good attitude to keep doing those skills over and over, but it's the skills themselves that are the "end game".

For example, in sports, it's the guy who catches the passes most often that is the success; or the guy who hits the homeruns; or the woman who crosses the finish line first; or the golfer who gets the ball in the cup with less strokes. This is ginely-honed skill at work.

You can have great success if you possess great sales skill and a mediocre attitude, but you can't have great success if you possess a great attitude and mediocre sales skill.

Skip
A good post. I don't agree. I don't disagree. It is always a question of values. I value attitude, and I value skills and professionalism. But most of all I value intention. - by Ace Coldiron
When your intention is to do something well because you want a certain outcome, your attitude becomes one of wanting to learn what skills you need to learn to make it happen. There's no pulling apart those components of motivation or decision making - they have to work together.

MitchM - by MitchM
"State of Mind" precedes "Action". There is no way around it. ;) - by Liberty
State of mind - action and thought - motivation and attitude have to fit together and can't be issolated this vs that. The Right Attitude is a summary of all that.

John and Julie lose their jobs because the company goes out of business. That action precedes what happens next.

John decides to draw unemployment and live cheaply, take some time off, and make some cash-in-hand.

Julie decides to change careers and join me in my business. Today she's enjoys the good life and has become a master networker and the envy of many in sales.

You can give other examples which turn that equation around at least on the surface.
------------------------
A long time ago on a very high mountain-top ledge where monks-in-training came to meditate and find enlightenment, there lived an inspired Master Monk who kept a stern but content look on his face at all times.

Monks-in-training would sweep steps, meditated, wash the dishes and chant. They drank tea and ate veggies w/rice three times a day.

Suddenly mid day one day the ledge of the mountain top began to break apart. With looks of horror and awe on their faces, monks-in-training began falling to their deaths. In mortal pain, their mouths opened in howls and screams of anguish and speechlessness born of the sudden realization that it was all over - their lives were crashing to an end and they knew it.

Monks-in-training were falling into the abys.

But plunging to his demise Master Monk, the inspired and enlightened one, with a look of absolute joy on his face reached out and at the tip of his fingers growing from the side of the mountain was a wild berry bush.

On the way out of this earthly life with only an instant left he was still looking for opportunity, still seeking pleasure, still focused on the gain of the moment.

Master Monk had the right attitude.

MitchM - by MitchM
State of mind - action and thought - motivation and attitude have to fit together and can't be issolated this vs that.
Sorry, I can't agree. IMHO, what action, if any, a person takes is dependent on his or her state of mind. "State of Mind" precedes "Action". - by Liberty
Inasmuch that we are in the Off Topic section of this forum, I'll mention there is an awesome text that covers this subject in depth from a Zen Master perspective. Unfettered Mind by Takuan Soho had a great influence on me. Soho was a friend and mentor to Miyamoto Musashi who wrote A Book of Five Rings.

Thought can inhibit action as well as precede it, not through contemplation exactly, but by "locking in" at a time when totally unfettered action is needed. - by Ace Coldiron
"Thought can inhibit action as well as precede it, not through contemplation exactly, but by "locking in" at a time when totally unfettered action is needed." - what Ace learned

I've learned something similiar from aikido and bagua which does not conflict with my previous posts. Integration is everything when it comes to immediate right action without time to think about what to do.

Mike - by MitchM
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.