Home > Closing > one call close

one call close

I've just started looking at all the shared information in this forum, so I have'nt had time to read all the posts. I was wondering if there was anyone in here that sold home improvements on a one call close. I'm a sales manager for a major home improvement company in the Charlotte area and was wondering if any one had any new closes I haven't heard yet. - by klozerking
I'm a sales manager for a major home improvement company in the Charlotte area and was wondering if any one had any new closes I haven't heard yet.
In all honesty, it would be impossible to answer your question because we don't know the closes you have heard.

Over the years, I created presentations for in-home selling for a variety of companies in the home improvement business. By the way, home improvement is one of the last areas of "direct selling" that has not gone the way direct selling at large has gone--namely MLM.

So tell us what you mean by "close". Are you talking about value-added kickers, price concessions or what? How about an example of what you are presently using as "a close".

Ultimately, success in direct sales always comes more from sales conversationalist skills than magic closes. - by Gary Boye
I'd like to think that after 10 years I had heard them all and used most of them, but I,m sure I haven't. I agree that you have to be a great conversationalist, but people hate making buying decisions when the amount of money can be substantial. 20 to 40 k can be a big decision for some people. If Hopkins, Ziglar, Yoho or Rick Grosso has said it I have too. So i was basically wondering if some one had some thing different that they heard than what any of those 3 have said. Nothing of course is going to take the place of a great presentation. If they want it bad enough they will often make the purchase without any real closing at all. I guess what I am looking for is ways to make the true procrasinator make a move. - by klozerking
I guess what I am looking for is ways to make the true procrasinator make a move.
Everyone has his/her own reasons for procrastinating. Perhaps the first step is discovering your prospect's reasons. You'd hate to push when you should've pulled, right? - by SalesGuy
....20 to 40 k can be a big decision for some people. If Hopkins, Ziglar, Yoho or Rick Grosso has said it I have too
That being the case, how successful have you been with the "bracketing for dollars" technique that Hopkins advocates? It seems to me that it is very appropriate for large ticket home improvement sales. - by Gary Boye
If they want it bad enough they will often make the purchase without any real closing at all. I guess what I am looking for is ways to make the true procrasinator make a move.
Develop the need so that they "want it bad enough". :) - by Jolly Roger
Develop the need so that they "want it bad enough". :)
If that doesn't work try "Pain". :D - by WobblyBox
What we generaly offer is a first visit urgency offer to reduce the initial price of the project by 10%. This is the major close. I also require my reps to call me from every appt. Their main job is to bring it back to the money, because that is the only thing you can change any way. We are running about a 23% conversion rare, meaning we convert to sales 23% of what we run. Thats regardless of what the lead is. No home one leg etc. I want to ge that to 30% That is why I am always looking for new closes. - by klozerking
I myself bracket for dollars at times right up front. But I find with new reps which I have a lot of they often get kicked out before they get into their presentation. My older guys can do it pretty well. I usually wait a couple of months before I allow them to do that. We are pretty effective at overcoming the 5 reasons people don't buy. But it always boils down to the money. Sometimes they have a hard time getting the customer to admit it. And that's when they call me with a pitch and miss. So when I say I am always looking for new closes, I am looking for new ways to get the customer to say it's the money. - by klozerking
[quote=klozerking]I myself bracket for dollars at times right up front.QUOTE]

Specifically how do you do that? What do you say and ask the prospect?

The reason I ask is that it seems obvious to me, in light of your conversion percentage and comments about the money issue, that the problem lies in that part of your process.

It's difficult to offer the advice you say you are looking for if you aren't more specific about what you are actually doing. - by Gary Boye
We are pretty effective at overcoming the 5 reasons people don't buy.
What are the 5 reasons people don't buy? - by bridger480
I'd like to think that after 10 years I had heard them all and used most of them, but I,m sure I haven't. I agree that you have to be a great conversationalist, but people hate making buying decisions when the amount of money can be substantial. 20 to 40 k can be a big decision for some people. If Hopkins, Ziglar, Yoho or Rick Grosso has said it I have too. So i was basically wondering if some one had some thing different that they heard than what any of those 3 have said. Nothing of course is going to take the place of a great presentation. If they want it bad enough they will often make the purchase without any real closing at all. I guess what I am looking for is ways to make the true procrasinator make a move.
Could it be that the "perceived need" and/or "perceived value" is low and that is why "money" is an issue? - by Agent Smith
What are the 5 reasons people don't buy?
no trust
no want
no need
no hurry
no money - by klozerking
no trust
no want
no need
no hurry
no money
What about the product/service? For example, the customer wants a side by side refrigerator but you only offer single door units? Does that fall under "no want"? - by bridger480
What are the 5 reasons people don't buy?
Here are five concerns or reasons people don't buy: Product - Provider - Peers - Priority - Price - by SalesGuy
What about the product/service? For example, the customer wants a side by side refrigerator but you only offer single door units? Does that fall under "no want"?
If they don't want what you have to offer they will not buy. Stil you need to find out why they want the particular type of refridgerator they want. You may find that through your questioning they only think they want the side by side. Or because of price they may decide to go with what you carry. Sometimes you have to create want. - by klozerking
KLOZERKING:The original poster. Hopefully this might work>

BEFORE YOU EVER ARRIVE AT THEIR DOOR: You need to second guess whats going through the buyers mind, what they've discussed between themselves, what their fears are, what there concerns about price are, how much they think the job is worth, how much they expect to pay, how much they have budgeted on spending. And when you arrive you need to check what they want done AND TO FIND SOMETHING THEY AND YOUR COMPETITORS HAVE NOT MENTIONED, HAVE OVERLOOKED, AND WILL SAVE THE JOB, OR IMPROVE IT IN SOME FAVOURABLE WAY. AND MENTION IT.

NOW THEN: You need some little mannerisms, some little quirks of human behaviour that impresses Mr Mrs John Doe. Say your climbing into the roof space, stop, pull out a measuring tape and measure the roof joists, you know its 4x4 but they don't. you then say "thats genuine Russian Hardwood, its becoming more difficult to find each year". Lets say they want some stone steps built to connect ther outside patio to a lower level, stop, and say; "What I would suggest here is we face them with K9 kerbs to prevent slipping accidents in the winter", you then find the part of the job thats going to push up the bill, lets say its all that copper piping thats got to come out, stop, and ask them; "Do you want us to try and save that for you". You know you can't save it, but they don't, and your posing here as the man who went out of his way to SAVE THEM MONEY. You've now almost closed the sale and made a fantastic impression.

NOW FOR THE CLOSE, YOUR ALL SAT AT THE KITCHEN TABLE:

Your first words are: "Tell me how long have you been planning these improvements" listen then add; "I bet you will be glad to get it all over with AND ON ITS WAY TO COMPLETION" In some respects this is a dirty question, because you know full well what the answers going to be. You then do all your sums and say "Can I assume that if this price is favourable you will give us the order and your instructions to proceed. You then look at your DIARY [buy a cheap diary] and start trying to find them a TIMESLOT, you then have some meaningless discussion ABOUT TIMESLOTS, actually your testing the water.

NOW HERES THE NITTY GRITTY:

You always offer them THREE PRICES, you yourself reject the most expensive price [remember your the man who went out of his way to say them money] [does anyone want to buy this phrase, please pay at the checkout on your way out if you do] you then compare the TWO PRICES ON OFFER with him, and you close him by rejecting one of these prices. Lets say you steer him, into buying your goods. If he hums and haws you take something off the job TO REDUCE THE PRICE FURTHER, and hit him again with it. You never produce / offer a 10% deal for a decision there and then.

*Secondary points: No one in your firm ever sells anything, the words sales must never pass your lips, none of your staff are salesmen, all your staff are builders / plumbers who have been called off an urgent job to attend to providing this estimate.
*A lot depends on how many estimates the clients are getting and which home improvers arrived 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Your conversion rate should be 40%, and don't overlook the wifes influence. I can hit and have hit 99% conversions rates, with a settling down figure [due to pheumonia, mental plague or sheer hellishness] of %50. And you can always walk out, and sell somewhere else. Knowing this adds 10% to your he knows what he's doing attitude and credibilty. - by Incidentally
That post, plus many of your others, is scary good Bob. Please don't come door knocking at my house because I'm pretty sure I'd end up buying something. ;st - by Houston
If only Shelly Levine knew all this....

Susan - by susana
Houston, please bear in mind I have been selling over 50 years, on commision / profit share only, what you see is the result of many years of careful analysis. If I get a sale I want to know WHY. If I lose a sale then the inquest can take days to solve the puzzle WHY. I have spent many a night in hotel rooms asking myself "Did I make any mistakes, what might have swung it, was it me, was it them?

SUsanna: I live in England, so must ask who is Sandra Levine? - by Incidentally
SUsanna: I live in England, so must ask who is Sandra Levine?[/quote]

Shelly Levine is the main character in 'Glen Garry, Glen Ross'. IMO the best sales movie ever made.

Susan - by susana
Hello There,

I am a sales manager in Charlotte as well. All I do is one call closes.

I am trying to get into sales training. My specialty is talking to couples who have NEVER heard of our company, don't know anything about what we are selling, and after a 45-60 min powerpoint presentation are asked for $2000-$7000. We close around 25%. I would be interested in chatting with you.

Sam - by SamTheMan
Which post were you responding to Sam? :dun - by Liberty
I am going to go out on a limb and say it is not a new close you need.
Take a deeper look at your proposal process and presentation.Start tweaking the verbage with influencing thje buying singals.Change the tone of the presentation , paint a more beautiful picture of happyand how they will feel once the task is completed.Once the remodel / investment is completed the increased value of your home will jump$$$$$.Use words, imagine yourself soaking in the new tub relaxing after a long day,strutting into your new walk in closet picking out a neatly pressed gown hanging in the closet.etc.
It has to be exciting,beautiful,No risk,in no time at all you will enjoy whatever it is.
It used to be you could show up in jeans and tshirt with a tape measure a few brochures draw the drawing ,start the plans and start the job.It no longer is that way. - by rich34232
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.