Home > Education > Sales Masters, Methods and Fundamentals

Sales Masters, Methods and Fundamentals

With a little input from those in the SalesPractice.com community who are in the know about Sales Masters, Methods and Fundamentals this can become one of the most important sales training discussions a salesperson ever reads.

Let's use this thread as an opportunity to list and discuss for those who looking;
  • Who are the generally agreed upon Sales Masters (ie; J.D. Edwards) which salespeople can model or at the very least read about?
  • What are the generally agreed upon Sales Methods (ie; SPIN Selling) which salespeople should learn about and understand?
  • What are the generally agreed upon Sales Fundamentals (ie; Beliefs) which salespeople would benefit most working from?
- by Slick
Within the context of your questions, it's almost impossible to answer them because there is no "general agreement".

I believe that the vast majority among the millions of people who make their living in this diversified profession have never heard of J.Douglas Edwards, SPIN Selling, David Sandler, Frank Bettger, etc. However, based on my early personal development in sales, If I was recommending a source for guidance to a newcomer, I would respond to your three questions: Bettger, Bettger, and Bettger. There you can find the Model, the Methods, and the Fundamentals. - by Ace Coldiron
An industry as large as "sales training" and there is no general agreement on sales masters, methods and fundamentals? That's unfortunate. No wonder there are so many people "reinventing the wheel". - by Slick
Well said, Slick. I've never done a study as to just how large an industry sales training is. I know a lot of people seemed to come out of nowhere--hanging shingles on the Internet.

Books are sold, of course. I don't know how many are read. I've noticed that people often share a quote from the first chapter. Makes me wonder if they really delved beyond.

One interesting thing has often drawn my attention. Many writers and "trainers" start by isolating what seems like a very valid premise. But the work, methods, and conclusions often don't measure up to the premise.

Frank Bettger only drew from one premise. Find out what people want and help them get it. Then he shared his learning experiences on getting that done. - by Ace Coldiron
Let's remove "generally agreed upon from the picture and see if that helps.
  • Who are the Sales Masters (ie; J.D. Edwards) salespeople can model or at the very least read about?
  • Which Sales Methods (ie; SPIN Selling) should salespeople learn about and understand?
  • What are the Sales Fundamentals (ie; Beliefs) salespeople would benefit most working from?
- by Slick
Masters? Carnegie, Hopkins, Ziglar, Sandler

Methods? SPIN, PSS, Sandler

Fundamentals? Problem/Solution, Hurt/Rescue, etc. - by SpeedRacer
With all respect to Zig Ziglar whose name so often comes up, and for the sake of discussion that Slick was prompting, can anyone here on this forum, off the top of their head, name, and elaborate on, one specific point that he ever taught? No cheating by looking it up.

I do believe he did a marvelous job of branding himself. - by Ace Coldiron
Who has that kind of memory?

Zig's Philosophy on Selling is "You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help enough other people get what they want." - by Iceman
I have listened to the J.D. Edwards "Back to the future in sales" CD before. Very old school, emphasis on VERY, in my view. - by Bulldog
What's on the CD that is 'old school'? - by Slick
Erroneous conclusion questions, assumptive tie downs, tie downs, triplicate of choice, order blank close, puppy-dog close, balance sheet close and more are found on the CD. IMHO, these are old school. - by Bulldog
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.