Home > Customer Service > You must be mistaken!

You must be mistaken!

I met with a suspect today who had been shopping around the last couple of days on her own. When we were talking she asked me about the local area and a few subdivisions which I happen to know much about, I'M IN THE BUSINESS and she disputed my answers, SHE'S NOT IN THE BUSINESS. Somehow somewhere she heard one thing and I was telling her another. She was so far off base with her answers that she might as well have been saying the sun rises in the West and sets in the East. I still showed her homes and did everything like normal but that really bugged me. What do you with people like that? - by realtor
I met with a suspect today who had been shopping around the last couple of days on her own. When we were talking she asked me about the local area and a few subdivisions which I happen to know much about, I'M IN THE BUSINESS and she disputed my answers, SHE'S NOT IN THE BUSINESS. Somehow somewhere she heard one thing and I was telling her another. She was so far off base with her answers that she might as well have been saying the sun rises in the West and sets in the East. I still showed her homes and did everything like normal but that really bugged me. What do you with people like that?
THAT is a coincidence. Following is an excerpt from my blog today.

"...but I buy into the old saw that a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous. With that I have a confession. I reach a point of disinterest with a prospect if they value their little bit of knowledge over my expertise.' - by Ace Coldiron
At the extreme, one must let people be who they are, and let them believe what they believe. But most prospects are not that extreme, so we engage them in conversation and build trust and have a helpful attitude. We're likeable and sincere and genuine and helpful, and if the prospect has a misconception (to them it's not a misconception), we use our persuasiveness and product or tehcnical knowledge to try to add value to their situation. Most will listen and adjust accordingly, but some will not.

We use charisma, humor, cajoling, patience, assertiveness, sincerity, etc., to help the customer even though they may not believe they need our help. When we do our best, our sphere of influence expands...but there will always be people who won't listen. - by Skip Anderson
THAT is a coincidence. Following is an excerpt from my blog today.

"...but I buy into the old saw that a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous. With that I have a confession. I reach a point of disinterest with a prospect if they value their little bit of knowledge over my expertise.'
That is comforting to know that this happens to others. The same thing happened a couple of days ago when a suspect called me after the showing saying she was on the Internet and blah, blah, blah. I was a nice as I could be. She sent me an email this morning thanking me for putting up with her. I am not so sure that is a good sign though. :dun - by realtor
Just curious, when did "prospects" turn into "suspects"?... lol - by The Sales Artist
Just curious, when did "prospects" turn into "suspects"?... lol
I was told that until they have been qualified thoroughly they are suspects not prospects. - by realtor
Although it's too late to do something about this situation now, keep this in mind for the next time:

Put your own ego aside and focus on your prospect. It doesn't matter if you are the expert. No amount of arguing is going to get someone to change their mind. Instead, start the conversation by saying, "It appears that you have done your research..." then shut up and let her talk.

If she gives information that is obviously incorrect, say, "Do you mind if I ask where you got that information?" Keep your tone of voice and body langauge neutral. After she tells you where/how she came across the information, you can say, "That's an interesting perspective. Would you like to hear my perspective?"

BTW: It also sounds like you don't want to work with this person. If that's the case, then don't! Refer her to someone else and save yourself the frustration. - by Kelley Robertson
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.