Home > Cold Calling > I Believe, So Why Don't They???

I Believe, So Why Don't They???

I sell pest control to businesses mainly that manufacture or produce food. From large confectionary businesses to small fast food outlets. I been doing this for 6/7 weeks now and my company wants instant results as opposed to building up a database or appointments for the future. Although I spent time on the telephone, my company expects me to door face-to-face cold calling. I am no problem with this but realistically, the chances of selling from cold a pest control contract to someone who is already covered is very small.

I'm not getting much in the way of new business. My objections are "we're happy with who we have", "we're in a contract so can you come back in a few months" or "we don't need it" as I can't convince them to take the product. I think that I expect them to say no before I begin which may play a part in the lack of success.

I took this job as a way of learning to sell effectively so I can take the long road to success in the future. I believe in my product's value to a business so why don't others?

I like this site but the dialogue used seems very jargon and Americanised sometimes. I'm not yet totally soul destroyed by getting turned down time after time again. I don't get given many warm leads more 1/2 a week if I'm lucky. When I do the conversion rate is very high so I know I can do it but then it seems I can't.

What's the key? I know about target market. My company is behind the top brand in it's market and isn't the first name on people's mind but is better than that company on value and on price. I know about selling on value. I'm aware of the legislation affecting my customers which installs a need for my product but people are still saying no.

Surely success is possible in everything????? My daily target is 500 a day which is 2 small businesses which isn;t much but it really seems to be.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - by krashslaughta
I'm not getting much in the way of new business. My objections are "we're happy with who we have", "we're in a contract so can you come back in a few months" or "we don't need it" as I can't convince them to take the product. I think that I expect them to say no before I begin which may play a part in the lack of success.
How far into the sales call are you getting? Are you reaching the interview phase or farther? - by Houston
Thanks for replying Houston.

I manage to get to the Decision Maker I'd say 40% of the time of which I usually get 75% agreement to discuss further when it's time their current Pest Control needs. The other 60% is usually when the Decision Maker isn't there for whatever reason. I usually have 95%-100% sucess rate in getting past the 'Gatekeeper'.

Here's an example of a few cold calls today.

1. Appointment agreed for January 09 to present product.
2. Uninterested as happy with current supplier and didn't wish to talk further.
3. Decision maker not there today call tomorrow
4. Decision maker there after 1400. (not available when I tried later)
5.Requested callback in March 09 when reviewing product
6. Unable to sell on other than price and my product was 60 a year more expensive than current service provider that provides good service.
7. Decision maker not there.

These calls were conducted both over the phone and face to face.

I kinda starting to get this pattern in every day now and obviously this isn't going to enable me to meet target. At the moment I'm less than 5% towards my monthly targets with nearly 1/2way thru the target month. What are your thoughts? Do I realy suck at sales? I think that I can do it but perhaps I'm just kidding myself and the numbers are telling the full picture? I'm not sure what to think. - by krashslaughta
OK is there a reason why the people viewing are not replying?

I do need the help pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee - by krashslaughta
I do need the help pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee
You should be out working under the guidance of an experienced person at this point. Your company should be providing that. If they are not, your company is either at fault or fundamentally weak as a sales organization. It is very difficult to enter sales with a weak organization. Those are the facts. It's your life. Manage it accordingly. - by Ace Coldiron
You should be out working under the guidance of an experienced person at this point. Your company should be providing that. If they are not, your company is either at fault or fundamentally weak as a sales organization. It is very difficult to enter sales with a weak organization. Those are the facts. It's your life. Manage it accordingly.
This is what I am looking for to be honest but although people perform in their role here, I believe that their sales skills aren't what I would take a lot from. Thanks for the advice anyway - by krashslaughta
Krashslaughta,
It seems we are both in the same industry here, being pest control, altough we are in different countries.

Anyhow, I am currently trying to improve the cold calling in my organization and I believe it would be beneficial if we can keep in touch so we can try and support each other. Shall PM you. - by edprobudi
I took this job as a way of learning to sell effectively so I can take the long road to success in the future. I believe in my product's value to a business so why don't others?
Ace Coldiron is right. Training is the obligation of the company and if that is not meeting your expectation, then in my opinion, they have management issues.

If you work under the guidance of an experienced and successful sales agent yet still feel there was little to learn, then begin exploring your expectations of what entails selling.

A common paradox reported by new sales people is that successful agents do not appear to be selling at all. For them, there may not be something profound to hold on to. An experienced sales rep however, would know fairly well what's going on.

When learning sales, try to focus on the way the trainer is "being" first, then watch how that person executes through "doing." - by John Voris
I'd try a more of an analysis approach, something like:

Because of advances in our field and changes to legislation we've put together a simple but very effective analysis.

All we ask is a little time with some key people who work in this area in your company. From there we'll go away and come back with some suggestions. From there you can either act on our recommendations or consider your options, either way it'll be time well spent.

Lets setup a time that'll work for you... - by Tony Dunne
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.