Home > Personal Selling > Do Salespeople Tend to Talk Too Much?

Do Salespeople Tend to Talk Too Much?

When considering the group of sales people as a whole, do you think salespeople tend to talk too much? I'm interested in your poll vote and also your comments. Please share... - by Skip Anderson
When considering the group of sales people as a whole, do you think salespeople tend to talk too much? I'm interested in your poll vote and also your comments. Please share...
Hi Skip

Now that is an intersting one. It can be industry specific.Or more likely skill level. Culture plays a big part as well.

Two ears and one mouth in that order. That was on day on eof my first sales training course 30 plus years ago oh dear am I really that old!)

The challenge when "we" talk to much is we don't really listen to our customers.

Being totally uptime watching their body and concentrating is not as easy when you are talking at the same time.

I will be intersted to see the response on this one

Best Wishes

SalesManagersCoach - by SalesManagersCoach
I would think salespeople tend to talk to much instead of gathering intelligence on the prospect through observation, questioning and listening. - by Houston
Sales people bombard their prospects with information on top of information and then expect them to make an informed decision.

I have had an interesting week just back from Barcelona, Spain where I have training multi-lingual sales people on an internet portal.

As part of my training I pick up the phone and demonstrate that with little knowledge, a very informal conversational style (built on language patterns) and knowing the right questions you can getcommitment from cold prospects.

In relation to your product or service what are they doing now, what motivated them to buy or use this product/service, what factors went into their decision, if they could change one thing what might that be. What is important to them in this product and service? What does this do for them? Why is it important? If they could change one about their current product or service what might that be? Just suppose we could do that would that be something you might consider?

Build an arsenal of questions and learn how to use the power of silence. - by colly
Sales people bombard their prospects with information on top of information and then expect them to make an informed decision.
Isn't that the truth! shds;

As part of my training I pick up the phone and demonstrate that with little knowledge, a very informal conversational style (built on language patterns) and knowing the right questions you can get commitment from cold prospects.
Hat's off to you Colly for highlighting this key truth in selling. ;tks

In relation to your product or service what are they doing now, what motivated them to buy or use this product/service, what factors went into their decision, if they could change one thing what might that be. What is important to them in this product and service? What does this do for them? Why is it important? If they could change one about their current product or service what might that be? Just suppose we could do that would that be something you might consider?
Choice Questions Colly! msnwnk; - by Bulldog
You can't possibly give the client or customer what they want or need if you don't shut-up long enough to hear what the they are telling you. In my opinion if you are talking more than 30% of the time in a sales presention you are talking too much. - by MPrince
Selling is not mind reading!

If you don't shut up, how can you confirm the prospect's need? - by Gold Calling
In a word, YES!

When I first started out in my sales career (as internal sales), I couldn't wait to tell anyone who would listen how good my product was, it's features and why its the best in the business.

The fellow staff that I worked with very much used the same approach, although they had been in the field longer than me and I guess their influence helped mold my "rookie" behaviour pattern
when I first started off.

It wasn't until half way into my first year in sales that I got chatting to an experienced account manager, who had hunted for and won a number of "enterprise" accounts. When asked his secrets - he simply said to me "You have 2 ears and 1 mouth - use them accordingly - listen twice as much as you speak and you will be able to achieve anything you want in sales...."

IMO listening skills are one of the (if not the) most critical skills/behaviours to develop. Yet, as SPIN Selling author Neil Rackman, pointed out in his study of the sales profession, most salespeople rate and measure their performance on "closing deals", as this is the area where results are most obvious (especially in terms of training ROI).

I developed my listening skills soon after my chat with the top account manager in my company and used his advice to turn my weakness into a strength.

Another benefit of this, which I didn't realise until later in my sales career, is the perception I created of having emotional maturity.

When people are in the buying cycle and are looking to purchase, they need to be heard and understood - plain and simple.

Proof of this is the amount of times I won a contract over a competitor who didn't listen explicitly to a specific need, want or requirement that the customer had.

Les Giblin, in his fantastic book, "Skill with People", states on page 1: "The first step in increasing your skill in dealing with people (successful human relations) is to properly understand people and their nature"

Understanding people and their nature requires listening (and observing).

And the best way to make people feel important (and respect them) is to listen to them, because (to quote Les Giblin's book again) "The other person is ten thousand times more interested in himself that he is in you"!

Any comments?

Tony - by Tonyd
Hi Tony

You make some excellent points. It is so important to remember people buy for their reasons not ours.

The challenge when you are working with sales people is to harness their enthusiasm and leverage it into building great long lasting and sustainable relationships. Which now are so important if a company want to be successful long term.

Best Wishes

Denise - by SalesManagersCoach
Any comments?

Tony
Yes, I have two:

First, your post was one of the finest I have read on this forum, and I am one discerning SO(G).

Second, I love this:
"Another benefit of this, which I didn't realise (sic) until later in my sales career, is the perception I created of having emotional maturity."
Nice...VERY nice. - by Ace Coldiron
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.