Home > Personal Selling > Competing in Selling

Competing in Selling

How is "Competing" important in selling? - by Seth
How is "Competing" important in selling?
I've got nothing. Anyone else want to take a poke at this one? - by Bulldog
How is competing important in selling is the quesiton.

Everyone has a different internal drive or hot button and it's usually many things and these change. For some people looking at other sellers in the same company or industry and wanting to out sell them is a hot button. Also, for some people wanting to outsell themselves from quarter to quarter is a hot button.

So one competes with other people and the other with him or herself as an internal drive. If that's your hot button it's important for your selling success.

Competing for a bonus can also be important in selling.

Mitch - by MitchM
Nothing makes me more motivated than competing. I wish I had a few Painters to compete against as far as knocking doors, one call closing or anything productive. - by Mr. Mike
How is competing important in selling is the quesiton.

Everyone has a different internal drive or hot button and it's usually many things and these change. For some people looking at other sellers in the same company or industry and wanting to out sell them is a hot button. Also, for some people wanting to outsell themselves from quarter to quarter is a hot button.

So one competes with other people and the other with him or herself as an internal drive. If that's your hot button it's important for your selling success.

Competing for a bonus can also be important in selling.

Mitch
Revealing post. It seems you attach "competing" to motivation, although you do it in the third person, i.e. "some people", "everyone", "them", "him", "herself", etc. and second person, "your".

I have read a lot of your posts, Mitch, and they never revealed a competitive nature so much as a compulsion to incrementally learn so that what you do, you can do better--perhaps competing against yourself, perhaps not.

In my own case, I believe I value the understandings of strategy, and competition in selling above all other concepts. Yet I do not see myself as having a stereotypical competitive nature. I know others who are very successful who could refer to competition in conversations we have had, but who do not exhibit a competitive nature.

If I was asked to interview ten sales professionals to determine the one who has the most advanced sales mind, and I was permitted to ask only one question of each of them, my question would be: "Who is your competition?" - by Ace Coldiron
My only competition is myself! - by MPrince
"and they never revealed a competitive nature so much as a compulsion to incrementally learn so that what you do, you can do better--perhaps competing against yourself, perhaps not." - Ace

That is true, Ace. And sometimes it's a dective game to see yourself and what is the motivation, the source of power and drive, the vision that propels.

I played second string foot ball in high school; I ran track events and earned a trip to the All State meete where I came in a solid twelfth out of twelve. And I know exactly how that happened - I took my mind off the goal, let sloth and teenage hormones distract me for a couple days, and let it slip away.

Also, three was a mechanical error I made which I won't go into now - it's a funny story, Ace.

When I think back I know I never felt competition as in: I gotta we gotta beat the other guy OR we gotta come in first place. I did have that vision for myself crossing the finish line first and our team doing well - but whatever it means to be competitive eluded my understanding.
-------------
So who is my competition? My gains or losses of yesterday; distracting thoughts and events; the gains and losses and distractions in the person I'm interviewing and having a conversation with; these are a few of them: I am my competition in coming to that kind of alertness.

Your post and questions provoke serious reflection, Ace, and I appreciate that.

MitchM - by MitchM
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.