Home > Approach > Sales Associate at Dick's Sporting Good's

Sales Associate at Dick's Sporting Good's

Hi everyone I have been working as a sales associate for about two months now and have had great success selling firearms. My question though is I need a better opening line then "What can I help you with?" or "How are you? So, what are you looking for?" If I had a dollar for every time I heard "I am just looking" I would already be wealthy. I also need help with an opening line to get customers interested in signing up for credit cards. The credit cards are probably the most important thing for the sales associate and I need help pushing them, any help will be much appreciated. Thank you all. - by MoneyMaker
Here's my suggestion based upon working with thousands of people in your situation:

1. If you can, engage your prospects on a "human" (non-business) level. Take your "selling hat" off.

2. Best opening line I've found in a retail setting: "What brings you into our store (or department) today?" You'll still get the "I'm just looking" responses, of course, so when you hear that, encourage the customer to look. ("Great! Please enjoy looking!").

3. As far as your credit account question, make sure you briefly explain the benefits of becoming a card-holder, then ask if they'd like to get one for themselves.

Those are a few quick answers for you; I hope they're helpful. Good luck! - by Skip Anderson
Take this for what its worth!!!! I am an avid hunter and outdoorsman. I would think that you should know what season it is or what season is fast approaching and ask them if they are getting ready for deer season or whatever is coming up. When I go into Bass Pro Shops or wherever its because I am preparing for an upcoming season. You should know your calibers and what they are used for. You should also be able to tell them the availability of the ammunition. Several types of ammo and firearms are increasing in price and the supply is going down. Many people are concerned that with the new Administration that some guns and ammo will be soon gone by the way of the dinosaurs. You should use this to your advantage. Know the pros and cons of semi-auto, single shot, bolt action, breach or whatever. If you are selling firearms you MUST be able to talk shop with your prospect. Also, if you are with a customer and see someone looking DO NOT IGNORE THEM. I have walked out of several places when the guy behind the counter is just bumping his gums with someone and does not acknowledge me. Again, take it for what its worth and good luck!!!! - by ludlow75
Take this for what its worth!!!! I am an avid hunter and outdoorsman. I would think that you should know what season it is or what season is fast approaching and ask them if they are getting ready for deer season or whatever is coming up. When I go into Bass Pro Shops or wherever its because I am preparing for an upcoming season. You should know your calibers and what they are used for. You should also be able to tell them the availability of the ammunition. Several types of ammo and firearms are increasing in price and the supply is going down. Many people are concerned that with the new Administration that some guns and ammo will be soon gone by the way of the dinosaurs. You should use this to your advantage. Know the pros and cons of semi-auto, single shot, bolt action, breach or whatever. If you are selling firearms you MUST be able to talk shop with your prospect. Also, if you are with a customer and see someone looking DO NOT IGNORE THEM. I have walked out of several places when the guy behind the counter is just bumping his gums with someone and does not acknowledge me. Again, take it for what its worth and good luck!!!!
Good Stuff Ludlow! You are exactly right . Talk the Talk! - by MPrince
Take this for what its worth!!!! I am an avid hunter and outdoorsman. I would think that you should know what season it is or what season is fast approaching and ask them if they are getting ready for deer season or whatever is coming up. When I go into Bass Pro Shops or wherever its because I am preparing for an upcoming season. You should know your calibers and what they are used for. You should also be able to tell them the availability of the ammunition. Several types of ammo and firearms are increasing in price and the supply is going down. Many people are concerned that with the new Administration that some guns and ammo will be soon gone by the way of the dinosaurs. You should use this to your advantage. Know the pros and cons of semi-auto, single shot, bolt action, breach or whatever. If you are selling firearms you MUST be able to talk shop with your prospect. Also, if you are with a customer and see someone looking DO NOT IGNORE THEM. I have walked out of several places when the guy behind the counter is just bumping his gums with someone and does not acknowledge me. Again, take it for what its worth and good luck!!!!
You point out some really interesting stuff here about us salesmen/women types to KNOW YOUR PRODUCT. I've not shopped at Bass Pro or Cabelas other than online, but I've gone into Sports Authority and had the guy behind the counter not know as much about what I was looking for as I did.

If you're purchasing a known... 30-30, 7mm, .284, 223, .308 etc... no problem... but if you're wondering (and you should know this anyway... ) whether a 300 winmag and 300 Remington or Weatherby are interchangeable... you should be cognizant of that as a salesperson... or 30-30 vs a 32 winchester... or whether a 2316 will suffice in place of a 2219 aluminum arrow or whatever.

You should know how people use your stuff too....

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
It's a reflexed objection and not really a true objection so don't let it stop you in your tracks.

Easiest way to avoid this objection is in your introduction ask simple open ended questions where they won't have a chance to respond "Just Looking" and it gives you a great chance to build rapport with the customer.

"Hello, and Welcome to Dicks Sporting Good Store, my name is John and you are? Great nice to meet you! Getting ready for ________ season are we? Where do you hunt? Really how is it out there? How long you been there? Does your family hunt with you? And what is it you do? etc..."

You engage them in a personal conversation and before you know it the customer won't shut up about himself.

If you do get the "Just looking":

"GREAT!!!! As you see we have a huge inventory here in the front and I do have alot more in the back as well.. Was there anything in particular you were looking for?" - by jrboyd
Great stuff thanks a lot everybody. - by MoneyMaker
I use to work retail, when a customer would come in the doors of my store I would ask..

"Are you looking for something for yourself or are you looking for a gift?" - by TRICKORMATE
I use to work retail, when a customer would come in the doors of my store I would ask..

"Are you looking for something for yourself or are you looking for a gift?"
Had a friend that sold Lear jets that used to say that. - by Gary A Boye
"Are you looking for something for yourself or are you looking for a gift?"
That is a great line! - by MPrince
Sales Alarms « Prev | Next » Jack Link's
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.