Home > Personal Development > How do you respond to sales anxiety?

How do you respond to sales anxiety?

Do you sometimes lie awake at night worrying about that big sale you've yet to close?

Have you ever felt paralyzed by fear before you pick up the phone or make that sales call?

Anxiety can cripple us emotionally and hinder our sales productivity. Although everyone experiences moments of anxiety in their lives, we don't have to let fear control our lives.

Can you share a story on how you got through a particularly fearful situation in a sale or in your sales career?

How have you freed yourself from the grip of anxiety?

Your examples can be a big help to all of us.

Glenn - by GlennB
well when you have sales anxiety, id say its usually from lack of sales experience... or perhaps just being out of the sales world too long...

when you get this nervousness, you just start to lighten up and think to yourself "what the heck, im prepared for the worst...but at the same time, if nothing else, im just gonna see if this next presentation is a lay down deal real quick..." the anxiety usually comes from the pressure people feel to perform.... id say its natural feeling that anyone has when theyre in the spotlight so to speak...

its hard to see how, other than through experience and training you are going to build the confidence to get through your sales without much or any anxiety... just comes down to confidence....

its also easier to increase your confidence in sales by knowing what your closing average is....the ratio of sales to presentations.... if you want to sell 5 and your average is 1 out of 3 then you can lose a bit of apprehension but just doing the math here and just thinking instead of 5 sales, just 15 presentations and the rest will likely take care of itself...heck get 20 to really increase your odds so that its like even if you arent a great closer, youre giving yourself a alot of practive in a short time which will also give you momentum which will totally wash away anxiety... - by planrecruiter
Do you sometimes lie awake at night worrying about that big sale you've yet to close?

Have you ever felt paralyzed by fear before you pick up the phone or make that sales call?

Anxiety can cripple us emotionally and hinder our sales productivity. Although everyone experiences moments of anxiety in their lives, we don't have to let fear control our lives.

Can you share a story on how you got through a particularly fearful situation in a sale or in your sales career?

How have you freed yourself from the grip of anxiety?

Your examples can be a big help to all of us.

Glenn
I know for a fact performance anxiety in sales is a cul de sac not worthy to go down. Worrying about prospecting, presenting, closing etc is unfortunately a real worry for alot of sales people especially new starters, poor performers etc. Unfortunately, for these people they dont realise that they are actually fulfilling their own doom by allowing the anxiety to exist.

I am a sales trainer with a rock solid background in IT sales I noticed some time ago high performers, over achievers have a different perspective to the world of sales. That perspective is to view sales as a 'game' cos that is all it is and once you start to shift your attention from worry to enjoyment by participating in the game, striving for self improvement watching the performers perform your mental shift will happen magically.

In a nutshell, change the associations and connotations associated with sales and the parts and processes of the job from negative to more positive associations. Confidence comes from crashing and burning but enjoying it, once you've crashed that car thats it what else have you left to worry about..........get out and enjoy afterall it is only a game no matter how serious you take it and whether you like it or not. - by mine99
I have never experienced Fear, in and from, my entire sales career. I wish I could offer a reason why, so that I could help others. But I simply don't know why. A search on this forum today will reveal that the word "fear" has been used repeatedly on 266 threads. I suspect its repeated use numbers in the thousands. I can't relate. I don't know Fear of Phone, Fear of Cold-Calling, Fear of Success (Ugh), Fear of Failure, etc. etc. etc.

So I can't relate or help others by drawing from my experience in sales on the subject of fear.

But then there is Perspective. A month ago on a dangerous Mexican road, an SUV came blindly down a mountain at 65 miles an hour, swerved, fish-tailed, and lost control heading straight towards my car with me and two passengers inside, changed direction at the last split second--rolled over and down a hill---and because of that flip of a coin I am writing this today.

And there was the time I was rescued from drowning--or the time my doctor called wth news of cancer.

Now THAT's fear. Call reluctance? Sorry, I wish I could help. - by Ace Coldiron
I remember my first real sales job calling on businesses up and down the street selling postage meters for a Fortune 500 company. I had just gotten out of the quicky training and they sent us out on the street.

I selected an area and drove around the block multiple times. Fearing those sales calls. Hating myself because I couldn't get out of the car.

Finally I did get out of the car and make some sales calls. Guess what...... I didn't die. Nobody beat me up. Sure I got rejected but when I walked out the door my weren't black, I wasn't bleeding and I could still breathe.

F.alse
E.xpectations
A.ppearing
R.eal

On a higher level I realized that allowing fear to control me was keeping me from achieving my goals. Once I allowed myself to be goal driven and not fear driven then cold calling became easy and even enjoyable for me.

Good Selling!

Sell4alivn - by Sell4alivn
I have never experienced Fear, in and from, my entire sales career. I wish I could offer a reason why, so that I could help others. But I simply don't know why. A search on this forum today will reveal that the word "fear" has been used repeatedly on 266 threads. I suspect its repeated use numbers in the thousands. I can't relate. I don't know Fear of Phone, Fear of Cold-Calling, Fear of Success (Ugh), Fear of Failure, etc. etc. etc.

So I can't relate or help others by drawing from my experience in sales on the subject of fear.

But then there is Perspective. A month ago on a dangerous Mexican road, an SUV came blindly down a mountain at 65 miles an hour, swerved, fish-tailed, and lost control heading straight towards my car with me and two passengers inside, changed direction at the last split second--rolled over and down a hill---and because of that flip of a coin I am writing this today.

And there was the time I was rescued from drowning--or the time my doctor called wth news of cancer.

Now THAT's fear. Call reluctance? Sorry, I wish I could help.

It's called 'your time aint up yet'..........10 years ago I had an 80mph head on and i walked without a scratch a few years before that i accidentally put my hand through a glass door and slashed everything possible apart from the main artery.

There is an NLP presupposition ' the map is not the territory'.

Some people need to be guided in order to view 'perspective'. But I think the poster referred to this subject as anxiety.....which is not in the same league as fear......which in my opinion is social conditioning to keep you in line that is another post on another website lol - by mine99
Mine99, I was addressing "paralyzed by fear". Again--"fear" is a word--a subject--that frequents these threads.

"Social condtioning" would indeed be an interesting topic. For instance, I have never seen the word "retire" in ancient texts. But--yes-- we can save that for another thread. - by Ace Coldiron
Fear of a sale = need more self confidence.
How do you build confidence.Learn as much as you can and use what you have learned. Know that you are the super greatest. Can never be afraid of a challenge. - by rich34232
Fear of a sale = need more self confidence.
How do you build confidence.Learn as much as you can and use what you have learned. Know that you are the super greatest. Can never be afraid of a challenge.
I have never heard of "fear of a sale". - by Ace Coldiron
Yes you have.Those who do not ask for the close.They fear the sale or no sale.If you have fear of the no sale you have fear of the sale.
How about worrying about making the sale as described in the topic question. The fear of the sale. - by rich34232
Yes you have.Those who do not ask for the close.They fear the sale or no sale.If you have fear of the no sale you have fear of the sale.
How about worrying about making the sale as described in the topic question. The fear of the sale.
I think we are getting into either grammar or semantics. I'm sure there are people who fear NO sale. But SALE and NO SALE are opposites. Maybe a person could fear the paperwork of processing a sale--but the sale itself?? Why fear a sale?

In any event, it's not worth bridging our understanding on this subtopic. - by Ace Coldiron
Agree, a difference of terminology. I did not say I fear the sale. - by rich34232
I am always anxious for my next Leed to go sale. - by Mr. Mike
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.