Home > Approach > Shortcutting the sales process

Shortcutting the sales process

How would you recommend handling this situation?

You work in a retail environment. Prior to visiting your store your customers are exceptionally well researched. They have a variety of resources where they can explore your products and your competitors, in fact by the time they get to you they have already narrowed their search down to 2 or 3 suitable products (yours being one of them). They have linked the key features of the car to their requirements and have mentally decided the right model for them and even thought about how they'll pay for it

So the customer walks in and you greet them enthusiastically, ask them 'what brings them in' and the customer replies 'I want a New Chevy Blazer Executive in Black, with the V8 engine and I want to know what your best price is'.

What do you fell would be the best next step? - by marky
Start right at the beginning of the sales process and build rapport. Then continue through the steps as you would with any other prospect.

If you give them the price, you're no different than any other sales person. Show them you're different.

Don't ever shortcut the sales process. - by Jim Klein
"Then you've come to the right place! My name is John, and you are? What about the [product] do you like?" And continue with sales process. Do NOT assume that customers know what they want. Prime Example: Dec 31st of 2008, I had a customer come in looking to buy a Regular Cab Silverado 1500 Gas Engine. He ended up driving out in a Crew Cab Silverado 2500HD deisel. The customer THOUGHT he knew what he wanted, but in reality had no idea. People will buy the sizzle not the steak. That was the last 2500 HD in our inventory, and it had a 500 bonus if you sold it. I made it sound like such a great deal that it would be irresponsible for him not to take it. He loves his new truck and has already sent me two referrals. - by jrboyd
Don't ever shortcut the sales process.
Pure wisdom there.

The top auto salespeople learned to "slow the customer down." Part of their reasoning--not all--is that "time binds".

There is a similar discussion on the following thread:

http://www.salespractice.com/forums/t-9777.html - by Ace Coldiron
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.