Home > Personal Selling > How to increase appointments made to appointments kept?

How to increase appointments made to appointments kept?

First off, I am in automotive sales. We get leads generated via email and phone-ups. Now typical lead we call the cutomer and get information on vehicle they are wanting and set-up an appointment so they can come in. I average 10-15 leads a day, and usually convert 90% of those into appointments. However of those I get approximately 50% to show. So off the 10-15 leads a day I set up probably 9-13 appointments. But off the 9-13 appointments I get about 5-7 off them to show up. Typical Phone conversation:

"Hello, is Mr. Customer available? Yes this is John calling from Clark Chevrolet, we recieved information that you are intrested in such and such unit, is that correct? Great I have about 30 of them in stock!! Now what about his unit intrests you? Perfect! Now just for your information, I also have (name another unit similar to their intrests) as well, that might also fit your needs. Now what type of equipment where you wanting in your (original unit lead was on)? Hmmm.. I have about __ differnt models that fit that criteria. Now the most important thing for me is to ensure that we get you on the right vehicle, can you make it in today or would tomorrow be more convient? Ok, perfect, now can you make it in the morning or would afternoon be better? Great, now let me check my schedule. Mr. Client, I have two openings, one at X o'clock and one at Y o'clock. Thank you so much for your time Mr. Client, now if you have any questions or are running late feel free to call me at xxx-xxxx and ask for John. Have a great day"

And for confirming the appointment it's:

"Hey Mr. Client, it's John from Clark Chevrolet, how we doing? Perfect! I wanted to make sure that I had the units ready for you to look at for our X o'clock appointment. Now did you need directions on how to get here?"

Usually on conformation call I get two or three that cancel, and even of the ones I confirm I get one or two that are no shows. Does anyone see something I can do different with my call? I know you will always get some no shows, but just wondering if I can reduce that %. - by jrboyd
Now the most important thing for me is to ensure that we get you on the right vehicle, can you make it in today or would tomorrow be more convient?
I feel pressure reading this. In my mind I think... wait, I'm not ready yet. :yi - by Houston
JRBoyd
A couple of things that may help. When you say you have '30 insock' it kind of takes away the need for immediate action in my mind at least. It sounds like a lot of cars to me (maybe its not in the US?). You can't lie and say 'we only have one so get in now' but maybe if you ask some questions first to assess the exact specification required and then say 'we have a car in stock that I think will meet your needs, when would be the best time for you to come in .....
Lots of dealers have also taken to sending out appointment confirmations by surface mail, e mail, text amnd this seems to make more appopintments stick. - by marky
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.