Home > Advertising > Hot Promotion or Advertising Schedule?

Hot Promotion or Advertising Schedule?

What do you think? Should a business buy into seasonal promotions such as a Valentine's Day Promotion or should you put together an advertising campaign and stick with what works for you? Do Seasonal Promotions work? - by MPrince
What do you think? Should a business buy into seasonal promotions such as a Valentine's Day Promotion or should you put together an advertising campaign and stick with what works for you? Do Seasonal Promotions work?
The answer is yes, but ONLY if there is a direct tie-in between the advertisers' products or services and the holiday event. For a furniture store to have a Halloween Sale, for instance, it would demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of advertising and its purpose. If you're selling bulk candy, it's a different story.

There are exceptions. January White Sales have become traditional, and many consumers are conditioned to buy during those sales. Sort of a Pavlovian thing.

In all cases you need an advertising strategy founded on doing what "works for you." - by Ace Coldiron
The answer is yes, but ONLY if there is a direct tie-in between the advertisers' products or services and the holiday event. For a furniture store to have a Halloween Sale, for instance, it would demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of advertising and its purpose. If you're selling bulk candy, it's a different story.
I disagree. I have seen many unrelated business' use holiday, current events, trends, news items, many different occasions in their marketing. It takes some creativity, however, that's what setting yourself apart from all the rest is about.

I suggest you check out dankennedy.com. Dan is one of, if not the top direct marketer in the world and has helped thousands of people and business' market their products and services. - by Jim Klein
I disagree. I have seen many unrelated business' use holiday, current events, trends, news items, many different occasions in their marketing. It takes some creativity, however, that's what setting yourself apart from all the rest is about.

I suggest you check out dankennedy.com. Dan is one of, if not the top direct marketer in the world and has helped thousands of people and business' market their products and services.
Jim, you're in the majority. "Setting yourself apart from the rest" is wonderful if it moves product. Advertising is selling--not marketing. The very best of the best in advertising preached that relentlessly. Read Ogilvy, Caples, or Claude Hopkins. Hopkins' book is available right here on SalesPractice for download. Nothing or nobody could convince me that these guys were not correct. They frowned on "creativity". If that sounds blasphemous, Jim--so be it.

BTW, I'm very familiar with Dan Kennedy. I have read every book he ever wrote. I don't know personally any of the thousands of people he has helped market their products. He talks alot about his own selling style and how he is tough to reach on the phone which turned me off a little. He is certainly an entertaining author. I spend a lot on advertising myself, Jim. It's painstakingly scientific. If you haven't made a serious study of the people I mentioned, you might want to take the time. I think it will give you a deeper understanding of advertising. - by Ace Coldiron
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.