Home > Personal Selling > Who would you hire?

Who would you hire?

Understanding a prospect for me is about seeing what ideology they have. I use this question sometimes to get a window into the core of my prospects, as I sell to those responsible for increasing sales.

You, on the other hand, might be more interested in this question from the point of view of hiring ...

Which do you prefer;

A) Hiring a sales rep from within the industry, to gain access to low hanging fruit in the form of customers from your competitors, or;

B) The best sales person for the job?

Talent vs. industry experience ... ???

Assume you could not get both in the same animal, which is better in your opinion? - by Gold Calling
Understanding a prospect for me is about seeing what ideology they have. I use this question sometimes to get a window into the core of my prospects, as I sell to those responsible for increasing sales.

You, on the other hand, might be more interested in this question from the point of view of hiring ...

Which do you prefer;

A) Hiring a sales rep from within the industry, to gain access to low hanging fruit in the form of customers from your competitors, or;

B) The best sales person for the job?
Obviously, the answer is contained in your question. Best for the job is a no-brainer.

A side note: I value the ability and willingness to follow instructions way up there when considering a hiree. - by Ace Coldiron
The world is full of failures who have experience. I vote for talent every time. - by Skip Anderson
I wish I could re-write the question Ace, thisd is a serious goof.

Further more, for the benefit of the forum and our learning, I sincerely wish you had not made the comments you had. The point of a POLL, in my opinion, is to find out what others think not to influence their SALES THINK.

My bad. - by Gold Calling
The world is full of failures who have experience. I vote for talent every time.
Here, here! Thanks Skip. - by Gold Calling
I wish I could re-write the question Ace, thisd is a serious goof.

Further more, for the benefit of the forum and our learning, I sincerely wish you had not made the comments you had. The point of a POLL, in my opinion, is to find out what others think not to influence their SALES THINK.

My bad.
Actually, I did it FOR the benefit of the forum and our learning.

If you were a trial lawyer influencing a jury, I could understand your wanting to contain or limit the acceptable answers to that which make your case. But there was no "case" evident in your question--only perhaps a tiny hint in it's preamble.

As a reader, I am the "you" you address the question to. This particular "you" has spent years successfully hiring salepeople, with an occasional flop. For me to answer your question in a less comprehensive manner might serve you, but it would not serve those on this forum who want to explore more knowlege, opinions, or information.

Until such time that this site's owner says that we will now only post in congruence with Gold Calling's beliefs--or Ace's--or Whomever's, it's a forum for discussion and contributions. - by Ace Coldiron
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.