Home > Cold Calling > New script: Would like your input

New script: Would like your input

I would like everyone's input on this script. If changes need to be made, what are they?

This is my script once the D.M. is on the phone. He already knows my name and knows my company:

Script:

( D.M. name ) for 24 years we have been helping businesses typically save 25% or more on their group health insurance and up to 51% on their workers compensation rates.

We work will all the different insurance companies to make sure your getting the maximum savings possible.

The reason for my call is, I would like to set an appointment with you to see if we can save you money on your group health and workers compensation rates. If it's easier we can discuss this over the phone.

Which do you prefer, on the phone or in person? - by smurge
I would start with something like this:

Grinder: Hi, Mr.Prospect my names Grinder. I'm a Sales Rep with kick-yo-momma-inc and I was calling in regards to your (creative way to speak about your product but no salesey).
*At this point I would try and personalize the convo based upon their business name*
Grinder: Mr.Prospect I'm just gonna level with you here, I'm trying to distribute a product that I feel is better quality and better value then most anything else on the market and in these tough economic times it's important someone in your industry (construction for example) has every advantage to ensure your solvency. Lets spend 2 to 4 miniutes on the phone seeing if I can't be of aid to YOUR business. *start qualifying*

had much success with this type of intro. GL- - by Grinder
I am going to break this down for you Smurge ... and ... well ... for good reasons. First the whole script as you wrote it;

Mr./Ms. ____________, my name is ____________ of ____________ [company]. For 24 years we have been helping businesses typically save 25% or more on their group health insurance and up to 51% on their workers compensation rates.

We work will all the different insurance companies to make sure your getting the maximum savings possible.

The reason for my call is, I would like to set an appointment with you to see if we can save you money on your group health and workers compensation rates. If it's easier we can discuss this over the phone.

Which do you prefer, on the phone or in person?
Now, let's break down the elements;

If it's easier we can discuss this over the phone.
Trust me, drop this completely. It is said from a position of weakness, if you believe there is good reason to meet, go for the meeting!

It is more how you say it than what you say, so make sure you do not act kinda wimpy, be confident and that means they should see you.

Which do you prefer, on the phone or in person?
This is called Socratic Choice - you are closing with a minor alternative, which is superior to a MAJOR DECISION (one that is a YES or NO answer), so you have the right idea. However, we can always deal with an initial negative response (being turned down for a meeting) by coming back with "Well, if I haven't told you enough to make you feel like a face to face meeting is warranted, let's take a few minutes to talk it over on the phone, is not good or do you want to set aside 15 minutes at another time?"

My point is; isn't a face to face meet better Smurge? Instead of backing down right in the beginning, go for the gusto - go for the face to face meet, that does not mean you won't get some phone meetings, it means you will get more sit down meetings though, so start with this Socratic Choice close instead (or something like it);

"So that we can get down to cases and see exactly how we can implement that for you, as we have for so many others, we need to have an initial meeting. Usually a half an hour is all it takes to find serious cost reductions that improve the profit of your business, would you prefer that I stopped in on Friday morning or is one day next week better for you?"

Quite often you are only gaining info on this first meeting, setting up the fact that "from what you have seen so far" in review with "your experts" when you "get back to the office" you are "almost certain that there are serious benefits, but I want to be certain first. I will only call you again if there is positive and significant news on savings!"

But you can't get right down to things unless you can see their current coverage. And, you can't set it up as well over the phone. The meetings is imperative if you want to close more deals ... go for it.

Now, let's look at the beginning of the phone script;

Mr./Ms. ____________, my name is ____________ of ____________ [company]. For 24 years we have been helping businesses typically save 25% or more on their group health insurance and up to 51% on their workers compensation rates.
The Intro is the intro ... everyone needs to know who you are, what your company is and you should use their name, that is the most important thing in the world to them.

The next statement is called a GENERAL BENEFIT STATEMENT. It cannot be specific, as you do not know what they need/want/desire in those terms without meeting and asking questions. everyone wants more money - improved profit in their business. And reduced costs accomplishes just that ... !

You say; "For 24 years we have been helping businesses typically save 25% or more on their group health insurance and up to 51% on their workers compensation rates."

I say; "For 24 years our firm has worked with many companies just like yours. And, in our experience, there has almost never been a case were we could not save between 25% and 51% on group insurance plans and workers compensation."

Okay, I am going to get back to that, but you see the general benefit laid out with what is called an ADVANTAGE. We now have to turn that into the benefit ... by adding this;

"To you, Mr./Ms. ___________, this converts into real savings, a bottom-line profit improvement that is significant indeed!"

Okay, you went on to say this after your intro and advantage statement;

How the magician behind the curtain does his magic tricks is of no issue. In fact, a little mystery helps tremendously. In other words NEVER SAY ANYTHING LIKE THIS AGAIN!

Now, let me piece this together for you, here is my script (keep in mind, I have never sold group insurance or been asked to come up with a script before - so, if you think this is good, it means that proven technique never changes, which is bang on);

"Mr./Ms. Prospect, my name is Steven Burke of Gold Calling Insurance Agency[yes, I made this business name up]. For 24 years our firm has worked with many companies just like yours. And, in our experience, there has almost never been a case were we could not save between 25 and 51 percent on group insurance plans and workers compensation.

To you, Mr./Ms. Prospect, this converts into real savings, a bottom-line profit improvement that is significant indeed!

So that we can get down to cases and see exactly how we can implement that for you, as we have for so many others, we need to have an initial meeting. Usually a half an hour is all it takes to find serious cost reductions that improve the profit of your business, would you prefer that I stopped in on Friday morning or is one day next week better for you?

This has an intro, mentions an advantage and the benefit that corresponds with it. Sets up the need for the meeting and has Socratic Choice close with that specific goal in mind.

If you never waiver from this approach, you will increase your results dramatically. Of course, as your confidence grows, the results will continue to go up until you are absolutely amazed.

Drop the superfluous stuff, be more positive that you have serious benefits to offer and therefore have an expectation for a meeting, close for that meeting and you will get more meetings!

Learn it so you don't read it. Make sure it is less than 30 seconds long .... go for it, you will never regret it.

Best of luck always.

PS Does the ONE in 51% really matter? You might want to say it like “and even more than 50%” … it is up to you but 51 sounds odd to me. In any case, if you believe it, the buyer will in most cases.

- by Gold Calling
WOW !!!! Steve your approach makes more sense and I see now where I was weak .I can't thank you enough for dedicating your time to revamping the script.

In response to one question you had:

PS Does the ONE in 51% really matter? You might want to say it like “and even more than 50%” … it is up to you but 51 sounds odd to me. In any case, if you believe it, the buyer will in most cases

My response:

My thought process when stating 51% was to toss an odd sounding number that people don't usually hear. I figured this would keep their attention and stand out among all the other garbage the customer is fed daily. - by smurge
Now, let me piece this together for you, here is my script (keep in mind, I have never sold group insurance or been asked to come up with a script before - so, if you think this is good, it means that proven technique never changes, which is bang on);

This has an intro, mentions an advantage and the benefit that corresponds with it. Sets up the need for the meeting and has Socratic Choice close with that specific goal in mind.

If you never waiver from this approach, you will increase your results dramatically. Of course, as your confidence grows, the results will continue to go up until you are absolutely amazed.

Drop the superfluous stuff, be more positive that you have serious benefits to offer and therefore have an expectation for a meeting, close for that meeting and you will get more meetings!

Learn it so you don't read it. Make sure it is less than 30 seconds long .... go for it, you will never regret it.

Best of luck always.

PS Does the ONE in 51% really matter? You might want to say it like “and even more than 50%” … it is up to you but 51 sounds odd to me. In any case, if you believe it, the buyer will in most cases.
Here we have an authentic master of sales taking the time to GIVE powerful tools to a novice who is demonstrating that he wants to learn. Emphasis on the word, GIVE.

I want to add three comments.

First, Smurge--take what Gold Calling has given you and run with it. Close the door for the time being on modifying the script Gold Calling gave you. That is called FOCUS.

Second, when you're learning from a master, and he points out the cumbersomeness of 51% rather than 50%, drop your "reasoning" or rationalization immedately. He's teaching--you're learning. That is an absolute requirement for a true learner. Your knowledge from WITHIN will eventually evolve, but fire your inner novice.

Third, learn to DELIVER this script. That is the ART of selling. The key to all arts is practice. Here is an example with four seemingly innocous words from the script. Note how the message changes as you change the accent on each word:

And, in our experience...
Oratory mode. You do NOT want that.
Defensive mode.
Smug mode.
BINGO! That is story telling inflection. It is the best and most effective way to deliver any form of sales talk or any part of it. Learn Gold Calling's gift...and PRACTICE it like you just were awarded the dramatic role of a master salesman. What you do with the role, like in any performing art, is up to you.
- by Ace Coldiron
My thought process when stating 51% was to toss an odd sounding number that people don't usually hear. I figured this would keep their attention and stand out among all the other garbage the customer is fed daily.
The garbage the are fed is in the nature of the approach, being poor at best and usually wasting their time. In lack of belief.

It is NOT what you say as much as how you say it that will gain you appointments.

If you can say 51 and you believe it, that is what is important. But, if 51 is just a ploy, as I guessed it was, don't do it. Do what is true ... and learn to make your approach superior rather than thinking it is what you are passing along (information).

Pay attention to what Ace was saying, it is in the DELIVERY far more than exactly what you say. You may be a year or years mastering this but, you can show immediate improvement ... right now!

Best of luck always. - by Gold Calling
Just wanted to clarify something real quick. I don't want anyone thinking I am misleading them.

Our services can save the consumer up to 50% or more on their workers compensation rates.

Btw , thank you Ace and Steve once again for your input. I will take everything you have given me to heart and master it. My plan is to take the next 2 days here and just memorize and practice that script till it becomes me.

On Monday I will begin to approach prospects with it. I will keep you all up to date with my results.

Thank you once again and always feel free to share your wisdom with me. That goes for anyone. - by smurge
Master prospecting and the world will be yours Smurge ... it will lead to massive numbers of referrals, top income and sales awards. Best of all, you will always be able to have more than adequate income, allowsin g you to have ample insurance, including a million in critical illness, so that they are guaranteed as much security as there is in life. - by Gold Calling
Pay attention to what Ace was saying, it is in the DELIVERY far more than exactly what you say. You may be a year or years mastering this but, you can show immediate improvement ... right now!

Best of luck always.
A comment on delivery...practice it heavily, but don't completely lose your natural voice in the process. I have been in a business transition, recently, and have been "out of the saddle," so to speak, on calling. Last week, I wrote my new script, and practiced it until it sounded great. Only one problem--it didn't sound like ME. Consequently, when I found myself making some impromptu dialogue based on a question, after one heck of a good script recitation, I sounded like a completely different person. It was if a great orator had come in, given a speech, and bowed out.

I just wanted to point out how easy it is to make that mistake--even with experience--when first getting on the horse. Frankly, I wish I spoke like that orator all the time and could bring my speaking voice UP to the orator instead of bringing my delivery down a notch, but that is a challenge for another day. People need to believe you, and when you sound like your natural self, you come across more genuine (and it is also easier to BE more genuine.)

The best practice will come on the phones. Soon...you will be that script and that script will be you.

Good luck. - by Rainmaker
Rain is clear ... can I boil down to what follows?

Change your words and focus on punctuation, which is not the same as changing your intonation.

To save anyone who reads this the time of using their Thesaurus, intonation encompasses;

cadence - accent - modulation - inflection - tone

Be yourself. If you care and you believe what you are saying - you need not use a fake/different voice, the prospect will sense you are interested in his/her best interest. And, realize, you must be confident, convey it through the use of words and overcome any desire to be informative - to sell. Sell only the appointment. - by Gold Calling
Sell only the appointment.
Very, VERY important comment. - by Rainmaker
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.