Home > Advertising > Suggestion for promotions as a vendor

Suggestion for promotions as a vendor

My company (along with several other manufacturers) relies on a distributor to sell our product. The distributor has various channels to sell our product to end users (i.e. retail store, dealers, business channels). My role is to support a territory and the various channels to facilitate and increase sell through of our product as well as gain/maintain mind share of the sells staff of the distributor.

What are some good promotions to help generate sell through with this type of vendor/customer model? I am interested in the biggest return on time and monies spent to achieve the sell through and mind share objective.

The promotion options would either be to generate traction with the employees to sell our product over other similar products OR generate an attraction with end users who purchase the device for use.

Some common things we've done are promotions for who sell the most of our device over a period of time. The winner would get cash or some other R&R. I'd like to be more creative but for less money.

Thx - by Thow1906
Thow1906

I have done quite a bit of promoting over the years and I could just come up with something off the top of my head but but rather than do that I want to take a little time and think about this and give you a couple of good ideas. So...I will get back to you after I think about this a little bit.

MPrince - by MPrince
[quote=Thow1906;37764]My company (along with several other manufacturers) relies on a distributor to sell our product. The distributor has various channels to sell our product to end users (i.e. retail store, dealers, business channels). My role is to support a territory and the various channels to facilitate and increase sell through of our product as well as gain/maintain mind share of the sells staff of the distributor.

What are some good promotions to help generate sell through with this type of vendor/customer model? I am interested in the biggest return on time and monies spent to achieve the sell through and mind share objective.

The promotion options would either be to generate traction with the employees to sell our product over other similar products OR generate an attraction with end users who purchase the device for use.

Some common things we've done are promotions for who sell the most of our device over a period of time. The winner would get cash or some other R&R. I'd like to be more creative but for less money.

Thx[/quote

What kind of website does your corporation have? If there is anything a sales person, or any person appreciates is recognition. I would suggest that you make sure the person is rewarded by posting the winner on your website and have the company the sales person works for post them on their website for being the TOP sales person, or the sales person of the month. Make sure you give stats fo their accomplishments. You could make posters and put them up at the business locations. You could have a sales contest once a quarter with only one winner. You have recognized each top sales person but the person at the end of the quarter would get the gift. This way you are only have to come up with only one gift but everyone is being recognized and you have a bunch of sales people competing with each other to win. Do you have the ability to barter? It is harder for me to be very creative since I don't know what type of business or product you offer so if you want to tell me more maybe I can come up with more for you. - by MPrince
My company (along with several other manufacturers) relies on a distributor to sell our product. The distributor has various channels to sell our product to end users (i.e. retail store, dealers, business channels). My role is to support a territory and the various channels to facilitate and increase sell through of our product as well as gain/maintain mind share of the sells staff of the distributor.

Thx
You have not mentioned whether the product is a one time purchase for the end user or an ongoing regular requirement. You can think of a promotion campaign for loyal customers, have some offers, exciting gifts for a minimium purchase of qty. or offer a rebate on the next purchase after verification of documents of the previous purchase. organise a small local event where you get a chance to talk directly to your bulk buyers, get them on stage and request a word from them on your porducts and services. Give them gifts in front of their home crowd, increase their confidence in your product and your company so in future if their is a price war they will not shift to other similiar products. there are more methods but give these a try.

Arvind Patole - by Arvind Patole
Thank you. These are some GREAT ideas. I'm going to put them up on the white board and craft a few ideas (programs) around the ideas.

THANK YOU.... - by Thow1906
I just joined today and saw your posting. I worked the largest sales incentive and customer loyalty company. I sell a product called Rewards Direct.We sell the largest selection of motivating merchandise that changes behaviors for employees, channel partners or clients. Have you thought about launching a rewards based points program to drive sales? You can offer to this program to your employees as well as to your distributors. The goal would be to reward your sales force and your clients for driving sales. Everytime a production goal is met, you reward them with points to redeem for merchandise (ipods, travel tickets, movies, sporting events etc). Point programs are motivating because creates a buzz for your employees and creates brand loyalty for your customers. This is a very cost effective solution. We manage the points for free and you just pay for the points. - by cmariani
Hello. Soooo sorry that I have not been more active on this website as I was laid off from the company that I was working for when I posted my original questions.

I'm back with a new company (new to the US), and I'm ready to leverage this website as a great tool. There is so many great ideas.

I will look into the rewards program to change behaviors of sales reps.

I was able to implement a sales contest with the ultimate goal to recognize the winner via our website or my customer's internal newsletter to promote the top sales rep. (Thanks MPrince).

My new question (i also posted this question in discussions) is, what is meant by the following question with regards to running a sales contest? "....what is the upside spend to our exposure?".

I have a contest that I'm proposing. I know the cost of the contest (the cost of the prizes), but I don't know how to reply to the question of our "exposure" and the "upside spend".

Anyone with any ideas....??? Thanks - by Thow1906
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.