Home > Personal Selling > Myths and Legends

Myths and Legends

Myth #1;

People buy solutions.

There is an example on this forum saying that people do not buy benefits, they by solutions to problems. It gives an example of a person who buys a car because the car they had is no longer reliable. So, by acquiring a new car, with a warranty, they get buy a solution to their reliability problem.

Okay, granted. But have they acquired a "solution" if the motivation to buy is DESIRE?

Let's say I have a reliable car and get rich quick on the Internet, then I desire a Lamborghini ... what problem I am I solving?

The smart Alec sales trainer might say; "The buyer had a complex about being poor or middle class, they are solving the issue with their own self esteem or importance!"

Okay, so let's take this altogether too far in order to make the important point that demonstrates that "Solutions" are not the only reason for a purchase in order to understand why we use the word "benefits" to describe "What is in it for the buyer" ....

Jay Leno owns about a hundred cars. He has every car and motor bike you can imagine, probably two of many. He has no image issue, he has no need to prove anything to himself or others, he just loves cars. Therefore he had no problem to solve.

Once again, we learn that there is no one theory that applies to life, that no one equation explains motivations, needs or pain. In other words, we cannot explain away sales in a simple fashion. It is complex, as complex as people are.

What are some of the other MYTHS and LEGENDS? - by Gold Calling
Myth #1;

People buy solutions.
In all my years of selling, and to the best of my knowledge, I have never once used the S-word in any sales-related context or discussion.
It's a buzzword for the Re-Inventors. - by Ace Coldiron
Hmmm, the re-inventors. Very adept name for them.

This thought is no more than an urban legend of sales; that things have changed.

Watch a few videos on You Tube to catch what I mean. Search there for NEIL RACKHAM and take a look at the fact that he believes he was the one who discovered that sales was about 'selling value' ... this notion is mind boggling (my father taught that to me in 1977).

From NEIL RACKHAM's perspective "that does not work any longer" means the profession only knew what to do in selling after his research, before that it was guesswork!

One must assume he never saw J. Douglas Edwards or Earl Nightingale (or a few of the other masters) speak.

The benefit of Huthwaite/Rackham/SPIN (the company/the man/the book) - to our industry - was they quantified selling with on-call research. In other words, using real scientific research and hard numbers, they simply have proven what was known b y the masters for a long time.

Og Mandini - who's book was long before RACKHAM's research, used the biblical carpet sales person to model (thereby insinuating that sales has been mastered since several millennia ago!).

Actually the very state of the sales training industry today is downright dismal. The largest organization by sales is only 70 million annually (Source; D&B-Hoovers.com), which is a joke in comparison to the amount of orders we get. And there are very few big time sales training outfits.

NEED SATISFACTION SELLING was the term developed in the late 60's ... this was more than 10 years before Neil Rackham even started charting sales with his on-call research. And more than 30 prior top Sandler, the group that apparently uses the "solutions" terminology.

Hey, I don't care if you call it that, the principals are the same, more or less. I am just saying that it does not encompass all selling situations, which "we" have known for decades.

And still the re-inventors try as they might to reinvent ... ! - by Gold Calling
Hmmm, the re-inventors. Very adept name for them.

This thought is no more than an urban legend of sales; that things have changed.

Watch a few videos on You Tube to catch what I mean. Search there for NEIL RACKHAM and take a look at the fact that he believes he was the one who discovered that sales was about 'selling value' ... this notion is mind boggling (my father taught that to me in 1977).

From NEIL RACKHAM's perspective "that does not work any longer" means the profession only knew what to do in selling after his research, before that it was guesswork!

One must assume he never saw J. Douglas Edwards or Earl Nightingale (or a few of the other masters) speak.

The benefit of Huthwaite/Rackham/SPIN (the company/the man/the book) - to our industry - was they quantified selling with on-call research. In other words, using real scientific research and hard numbers, they simply have proven what was known b y the masters for a long time.

Og Mandini - who's book was long before RACKHAM's research, used the biblical carpet sales person to model (thereby insinuating that sales has been mastered since several millennia ago!).

Actually the very state of the sales training industry today is downright dismal. The largest organization by sales is only 70 million annually (Source; D&B-Hoovers.com), which is a joke in comparison to the amount of orders we get. And there are very few big time sales training outfits.

NEED SATISFACTION SELLING was the term developed in the late 60's ... this was more than 10 years before Neil Rackham even started charting sales with his on-call research. And more than 30 prior top Sandler, the group that apparently uses the "solutions" terminology.

Hey, I don't care if you call it that, the principals are the same, more or less. I am just saying that it does not encompass all selling situations, which "we" have known for decades.

And still the re-inventors try as they might to reinvent ... !
Principles don't change.

There are reasons why the sales training "industry" has been largely ineffective. But I won't dwell on that.

The good sales trainers take the principles and teach HOW to use them, WHAT is going on when you are using them, and WHY you are using them.

They utilize Real World experience, and create a Real World platform through Real World examples.

I am often amazed at how many "trainers" attempt to "help" people become effective in Fictional Selling. - by Ace Coldiron
I am often amazed at how many "trainers" attempt to "help" people become effective in Fictional Selling.
You and me both!

Excellent discussion by the way Steven and Ace! - by Jeff Blackwell
The good sales trainers take the principles and teach HOW to use them, WHAT is going on when you are using them, and WHY you are using them.

They utilize Real World experience, and create a Real World platform through Real World examples.

I am often amazed at how many "trainers" attempt to "help" people become effective in Fictional Selling.
I am convinced that there are a whole crew of sales coaches that have never mastered selling, that are now trying to master a service; coaching.

In fact, I believe I have noticed a couple of cases of those type right here in this forum.

One-on-one training time is an excellent tool in sales management and/or sales training but if and only IF the person providing it wore out a lot of shoe leather in their own career first. Those who need help should think in terms of “I will follow you if you can demonstrate to me your own extraordinaire results first.”

Consider the source.

MYTH #2

“That doesn’t work any more!”

If it does not work today, it never worked. This would be more aptly expressed as; “That is not how professionals sell.”

There are many schools of sales training thought who believe the whole industry did not understand that people buy what is in it for them. That we thought we could (convince) “sell ice cream to Eskimos” … the truth is that the greats going back to the turn of the previous century, understood selling.

Keep in mind, I am only 48. I may have 30 years of selling experience but I am not in my 60’s. That means I did not sell in the 60’s and my serious sales experience began in the 80’s. However I was trained in the 70’s and listened to tapes recorded in the 60’s and 50’s (as well as almost everything else). Believe me, “we” as a profession DID UNDERSTAND how to find out what people wanted/needed/desired long before the present crop of re-inventors came along. I know, I studied them!

Drop this notion; “That doesn’t work any more” and adopt this;

“That is not how professionals sell.”

One expresses nothing to do with reality, the other addresses it with precision. And, if you want to express it slightly differently, so much the better, pout it in your own words. Just understand, “we” have not learned anything about selling in the last 40 years that was not known to the greats before we came along!

The only exception is HUTHWAITE. Though I do not believe they have gotten everything right and make the strong point that they did not ‘discover anything’, they have proven statistically that “you must sell value”. That was never proven before or since in a scientific w

“That is not how professionals sell.”
- by Gold Calling
Frank Bettger's How I Raised Myself from Failure to Success in Selling is a legend in selling and a must read for every newbie even in this IT world - his classic is as useful today as it was last century.

"I am convinced that there are a whole crew of sales coaches that have never mastered selling, that are now trying to master a service; coaching.

In fact, I believe I have noticed a couple of cases of those type right here in this forum." - GoldCalling

GoldCalling is absolutly right about those two things - Ace puts it right when he says: "The good sales trainers take the principles and teach HOW to use them, WHAT is going on when you are using them, and WHY you are using them.

They utilize Real World experience, and create a Real World platform through Real World examples."

As Jeff says, this is an inspirational thread so far. People buy what they want for many reasons which include pleasure/pain principles; solving problems; finding solutions; emotional whims produced by desire or chronic habits; etc.

Become a master of your own motives and movements and in your study of people, love what you do and sell with passion that only grows and can hardly contain itself, and success is sure to come.

The best to all.

MitcM - by MitchM
Although I don't know him, I admired Jeffrey Gitomer for paying homage to some of the past greats, particularly when he wrote The Patterson Principles of Selling and discussed John Patterson's applications of the age old truths of selling.

Certainly, there are some trainers out there who know their stuff. - by Ace Coldiron
Guys, while I have no desire to control this thread one way or another, I meant URBAN LEGENDS - as in things or people in selling that are not - how can I say this? - as the story goes!

In no way do I believe that not having heard of a certain writer or speaker dopes not make them a worthwhile read or listen ... almost no one has heard of me (yet) and I am sure that I am worth reading. But to be a "Legend" in the sense of an urban legend, you must have been heard of.

In other words, what is it that we can all agree on here that should be exposed as misleading; either MYTH or LEGEND. That was my intent. - by Gold Calling
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.