Home > Marketing > IS MARKETING Cheating or fair business practise

IS MARKETING Cheating or fair business practise

Hello all,

I am pretty amused at the remarks of a distinguished COO's remark " if the product is good and the demand is good , then there is no need of marketing guys"

I was just wondering how marketing has transpired into a practised art of cheating with substandard products.

What do you feel about this remark.

Please feel free to post your comments

Thanks & regards,
George Kottackakathu - by ananyainnov
Hello all,

I am pretty amused at the remarks of a distinguished COO's remark " if the product is good and the demand is good , then there is no need of marketing guys"

I was just wondering how marketing has transpired into a practised art of cheating with substandard products.

Thanks & regards,
George Kottackakathu
I don't know the context of his statement. But if it is an opinion of his, as is worded above, I would say there is "no need" for a COO who would make that statement.

However, he's talking about marketing "guys" in that sentence, not marketing. Opinions on marketing, and opinions on marketing "guys", are two different things.

My guess is that he doesn't know what marketing is. Most people don't. But an executive at a COO level should have some sort of grasp. - by Ace Coldiron
Does the COO favor marketing gals or is marketing guys a nongendered statement used to identify that classification? I don't know.

Advertising, marketing, promoting and selling all should work together to produce a good end result I would think.

"I was just wondering how marketing has transpired into a practised art of cheating with substandard products." -- quote

Some has some has not but the "how" is that it's allowed to happen, it's become a habit in some quarters, there is little public out rage when it happens, and greed drives it.

If I'm missing something here someone let me know.

The best to all.

MitchM - by MitchM
I don't know the context of his statement.
Very good Ace.

I am sure that there is a lead up to the statement. Taken out of context it is almost offensive. But in the correct context it is hard to know exactly what was meant.

The kind of marketing referred to by this quote is branding, not direct marketing. The latter exists because there is really not enough market to try and establish a BRAND ... as with business opportunities, only a small percentage of people are actually looking, as apposed to toothpaste, which something like 99% of people use.

Establishing a new brand is almost impossible without marketing ... so it is hard to understand what was intended.

"I was just wondering how marketing has transpired into a practiced art of cheating with substandard products."

Marketing can be used to make sub standard products of higher quality than they are, to trigger impulse sales, but it is still a requirement by law to handle requests for money back. Meaning that this is a risky practice, causing bankruptcies of even established companies.

I am not sure that was the intent of the COO ... to suggest that marketing was for "sub standard products" Direct marketing certainly isn't ... BRANDING is done to establish a NEW NAME ... kids don't buy clothes until they are KEWL (hence the branding).

Very confusing. - by Gold Calling
Hello all,

Thanks & regards,
George Kottackakathu
This again in my opinion is a total misunderstanding of what "Marketing" is. Marketing is simply a plan or a concept of bringing a business and a customer together. Until that plan is implemented through some sort of advertising such as; television, radio, print, mailers, web, word of mouth, etc. there has been no action taken other than planning.

MP - by MPrince
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.