Home > Education > Is Selling a Profession?

Is Selling a Profession?

I chose this arbitrarily as a definition of "profession". It is from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission.

While there is no agreed definition of a profession, the ACCC has adopted the definition proposed by the Australian Council of Professions which defines a profession as:
'A disciplined group of individuals who adhere to high ethical standards and uphold themselves to, and are accepted by, the public as possessing special knowledge and skills in a widely recognised, organised body of learning derived from education and training at a high level, and who are prepared to exercise this knowledge and these skills in the interest of others.
Inherent in this definition is the concept that the responsibility for the welfare, health and safety of the community shall take precedence over other considerations.'
Thoughts on the topic? - by Ace Coldiron
adhere to high ethical standards .... check

possessing special knowledge and skills ... check

prepared to exercise this knowledge and these skills in the interest of others ... check

accepted by the public ... uncheck!

That is what our profession has to go through. We are not accepted generally as professionals, we are a cost on the books to accountants - a necessary evil to Harvard League-rs (some of whom run companies) and, to some, our job (and mission) is somewhat loathed.

If you can bare that cross, act with dignity and spend a whole career always learning this profession, then you deserve more accolades than a lawyer, dentist, doctor or professor.

It is exactly because of this that we are the greatest profession in the world. Because our job is harder. And, if it were not, this would not be the most rewarding thing to do - because we overcome all odds to get the mission accomplished.

My hat is off to each and every one of you! - by Gold Calling
Great response.

My 2 cents--think about this for a few minutes. I've added two words that, through my own lens, are glaringly missing. The words are in bold red.

'A disciplined group of individuals who choose to adhere to high ethical standards and uphold themselves to,.................etc.

Again--ponder that. In my view, it's all about choices in life. I cannot consider the topic I posed here without saying that. - by Ace Coldiron
Can you imagine what the "Harvard League-er's" businesses would be without our profession that they seem to loathe? - by MPrince
Can you imagine what the "Harvard League-er's" businesses would be without our profession that they seem to loathe?
Fantastic insight.

Of course, we need to be aware that many do not "hate us" but far too many do - none should.

And, Ace, you are on vacation, what are you doing hanging out in this forum? LOL. - by Gold Calling
The ACCC hey

We would call the profession we live by a job, some say we are scum.............

You are coming up with the most insightful threads AC

Should an enterprising industry leader seek to form an association of ethical sales businesses and people that answer to a code of practice, punishable by removal from the association............ we could officially call sales a profession..............

As long as the association has clout, brands itself well and publicly names conforming businesses................... - by PiJiL
Should an enterprising industry leader seek to form an association of ethical sales businesses and people that answer to a code of practice, punishable by removal from the association............ we could offically call sales a profession
This was done long ago, try getting people to pay to be in it.

Direct Seller's Association. - by Gold Calling
Just because it did not werk last time........................;co - by PiJiL
Just because it did not werk last time........................;co

In case you want more proof, the largest sales training organization in the world did only 70 million in sales last year.

Getting sales people together is worse than herding cats mate, I've tried it. Try looking up internationalsalestrainingassociation DOT com and other similar addresses, which are taken but obviously run by people who have no clue.

Seriously, I will leave this to you. - by Gold Calling
In regards to "selling" as a profession, here is a quote that expresses a point of view worth considering:

"People who sell have flattered themselves and each other by calling the kind of vendor selling they perform a profession. But selling has never put forth any entry requirements, qualifications, or accreditations. No adherence to any institutional standards or practices, with sanctions for violating them, has ever been legislated in the manner of a true profession." --Mack Hanan
- by Jeff Blackwell
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.