Home > Approach > Call Campaign tracking

Call Campaign tracking

Hi all,

I wanted to get some feedback from those who do prospecting campaigns and how you 're keeping track of your efforts.

Specifically, do you simply use an Excel spreadsheet, or do you use a program or software to track contact datea/times and disposition.

For example, I typically just use a spreadsheet, but I'm finding that after a few pass troughs, it starts to get mucked up and ineffective.

Any insight is welcome.

Thanks, - by klozer
Hi all,

I wanted to get some feedback from those who do prospecting campaigns and how you 're keeping track of your efforts.

Specifically, do you simply use an Excel spreadsheet, or do you use a program or software to track contact datea/times and disposition.

For example, I typically just use a spreadsheet, but I'm finding that after a few pass troughs, it starts to get mucked up and ineffective.

Any insight is welcome.

Thanks,
Have you ever heard the joke about the man who set records painting lines on the highway?

His boss was blown away on his first day. Then on day tow he was not as good, then day three he got less than half the average done. The boss, who thought he found a really great worker was puzzled. "How could he go from the best to the worst in three days?"

So he asked him why he was not getting as much done. The worker replied "Well, I am trying, but it takes longer because I keep getting further and further from the can of paint!"

look, old school index cards are better than a spreadsheet. The more names you get in there the harder it gets to handle. And, a spreadsheet does not auto save changes, it is not designed to manage data records, that is what a database program is for.

If you are not going to use a real database program or contact manager, start using index cards with a date roll over. - by Gold Calling
Awesome question klozer :)

Great analogy GC thmbp2;

There is a really simple method of tracking your campaign that is right under your nose...........or in your ear..............

Outlook.................shds;

You can add a contact, set a call back, have reminders on your pc, email, cell phone.........................easy

There is a macro you can PM me for, that sets it up so you dont have to use your mouse (enables easy typing)........... - by PiJiL
start using index cards with a date roll over.
Please give me an example of how you use this.

My office uses MS Business Contact Manager, but its not good for calling from a list and keeping track record of the contact disposition...

Any cheap database software you recommend for this sort of thing?

Thanks Gold - by klozer
Allow me to explain.

I've got this list of about 4k that i want to call through, but I don't usually create a contact until I talk to the contact and qualify a need.

In the meantime, as I blow through this list in excel, I like to make notes as I call. Whether its something the receptionist said, or something that caught my attention, or even just leaving a message.

So what I want is to be able to add notes to a contact list of customers as I make my daily calls so I can keep track and to also help my next go around be a bit "warmer".

Just seeing if anyone had a better way of doing it. - by klozer

Please give me an example of how you use this.

My office uses MS Business Contact Manager, but its not good for calling from a list and keeping track record of the contact disposition ...
Almost no contact manager is good for that.

OUTLOOK would be one of the worst.

Look, we are talking about the pipeline ... contact manager systems and CRM's for sales think in terms of you locating the prospect and adding them to the database or getting it there from a website. They were not designed for CALL QUALIFYING or TELEMARKETING.

When you begin with a suspected prospect (Suspect for short), you want a suspect list. When you talk to them, setting a call back or an appointment, they then are a qualified prospect (Prospect for short).

No system has two databases and moves them from one to the other. that is why we created Success on Contact©.

You can always click one button and know who you have not yet called or contacted. One more and know who you have to call back today. One more and know who you have contacted and sccheduled forward.

I defy you to do this with OUTLOOK or ACT (now 22 years old)!

You can create an interface with a database program, such as Microsoft Access but you won't have email integration.

SAAS - which is a remote website that runs software - known to programmers as Software As A Service - like SalesForce.com ... it is not set up for massive telemarketing/lead qualification programs. Heckj, people hate cold calling, therefore known were designed with this in mind.

Success on Contact© was and, sicne I own it and designed iot for EXACTLY what you are talkign about, love to show it to you.
- by Gold Calling
.I defy you to do this with OUTLOOK or ACT (now 22 years old)!

Success on ContactŠ was and, sicne I own it and designed iot for EXACTLY what you are talkign about, love to show it to you.
mmmmmmmmmm, I do that in outlook with a macro........;st

Prolly not as good as the program you own tho ;bg - by PiJiL
Look for a software called ACT, it might help you. - by alexhar
Look for a software called ACT, it might help you.
ACT does not work well with telemarketing campaigns. It is like all contact managers, they assume you already made contact with the prospect when you are inputting the info ... this is the number one error of thinking in CRM and CONTACT MANAGEMENT software creation.

And, outlook does not answer the requirement of a list to work through with no re-contact date (suspect list) ... meaning you must set all of them to contact NOW, there is no way then to separate contact next week (call back) from CONTACT NOW (the difference between a suspect and a prospect), which is critical.

ACT is now 24 years old or so, good program, as are most of them. They just do not work well with telemarketing up front which was why I created out tool. Which we use internally, I don't even sell it (well, occasionally). - by Gold Calling
And, outlook does not answer the requirement of a list to work through with no re-contact date (suspect list) ... meaning you must set all of them to contact NOW, there is no way then to separate contact next week (call back) from CONTACT NOW (the difference between a suspect and a prospect), which is critical.
To that I say, rubbish.

I agree there are better programs, however Outlook does do this. - by PiJiL
To that I say, rubbish.

I agree there are better programs, however Outlook does do this.
No, it does not. And, until you have seen what I am discussing, so you fully understand what it is I am referring to, I would certainly appreciate that you not jump to conclusions and speak to me or anyone else in this forum in such terms. Especially not "in front of" impressionable sales people.

Believe me when I tell you; I did my homework. And I financed a contact management software out of my own pocket, an extensive one - so who knows the industry better ... ? Come on now.

In fact, no program does what Success on Contact © (S.o.C.) does on several levels, that was why we created S.o.C. in the first place.

To give you a basic idea, in addition to its uniqueness for telemarketing, S.o.C. also collects unlimited numbers of leads from an unlimited number of websites (without having to run a server). Now, while there are a few programs out there that collect Internet leads and append them to a database, they are not setup to do so for single users (take Act for instance, it assumes you are in charge of a sales team and that rules must be set up for dispersal of the leads coming in - they are all handled to one PC - and this cost $795).

ACT is a great program, OUTLOOK on the other hand, is not really a contact manager so it should not even be mentioned in this thread. It is really a glorified address book. Though a few after market products make it barely passable for basic functionality only.

Thing with ACT and the other contact managers (not to be confused with CRM's) is they are not set up with the single user in mind. They were created for sales organizations, which builds in drawbacks for small users.

That is why people like you end up with Outlook. It is also why after market products are developed to add onto programs like Outlook - by companies like the one I created. Only thing is - after considering using Outlook as a base, as ACT and others did (to have email capability), we went with open source code, like MySQL for a database and SKYPE for communications, in order to avoid Microsoft licensing fees and because that company's products are not required.

There are a lot of drawbacks to Outlook and Microsoft products in general. Outlook for instance is a poor quality "email client" it is not feature rich in a lot of ways ... this is my opinion of course but I have studied it in depth.

Having stated all this, I am talking mostly in generalities. You still cannot have a clear picture of what the situation is with contact managers, just an idea that I know what I am talking about - that is all.

I have not the time nor inclination to discuss this further in a thread at this site, I did not even want to mention my product, as I do not hang here to advertise either of my companies.

Let's keep this civil, thanks. - by Gold Calling
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.