Home > Personal Selling > New Phone script

New Phone script

As some of you know, the phone is my weakest area. Have new script I want to try to see if I can convert more of my phone contacts to F2F meetings. Let me know what you think.

"Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening, this is John with Clark Chevrolet, how are you doing today?
Great! So how may I help you?
Not a problem! So I can get all the information you need, may I ask a few questions?

Are you intrested in New or Used?

What Equipment would you like?

Just curious, if there was a similar vehicle with similar equipment that was less expensive, would you consider it?

Are you Adding or Replacing a vehicle?

And what are you currently driving?

So I have a better understanding of what is important to you, what do you like best about your current vehicle?

What would you wish was different?

Before we go any further, let me check the availability of _____ from our central inventory. This shouldn't take to long but just in case we get disconnected, are you calling from work or home? And your number there is?

And how do you spell your last name?

Ok great, let me check for availability real fast, you mind if I put you on hold for a sec?

Great news, availability looks great! May I make a recommendation? What's most important to me is that we make sure that you get the vehicle you want. I'd hate to be thinking you want one vehicle and turns out you want another. We should set an appointment for you to come down and make sure we have the exact car for you. Would some time today, or tomorrow be better for you? Morning or Afternoon?

Great! I will see you then. By the way have you ever been to our dealership before? Terrific, when you get here just have the receptionist page me.

Also if you could do me a HUGE favor, and for any reason you are going to be early or late, please give me a call, and if anything changes on my end I will do the same.

Thanks so much and see you on ___________________ - by jrboyd
As some of you know, the phone is my weakest area. Have new script I want to try to see if I can convert more of my phone contacts to F2F meetings. Let me know what you think.

"Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening, this is John with Clark Chevrolet, how are you doing today?
Great! So how may I help you?
Not a problem! So I can get all the information you need, may I ask a few questions?

Are you intrested in New or Used?

What Equipment would you like?

Just curious, if there was a similar vehicle with similar equipment that was less expensive, would you consider it?

Are you Adding or Replacing a vehicle?

And what are you currently driving?

So I have a better understanding of what is important to you, what do you like best about your current vehicle?

What would you wish was different?

Before we go any further, let me check the availability of _____ from our central inventory. This shouldn't take to long but just in case we get disconnected, are you calling from work or home? And your number there is?

And how do you spell your last name?

Ok great, let me check for availability real fast, you mind if I put you on hold for a sec?

Great news, availability looks great! May I make a recommendation? What's most important to me is that we make sure that you get the vehicle you want. I'd hate to be thinking you want one vehicle and turns out you want another. We should set an appointment for you to come down and make sure we have the exact car for you. Would some time today, or tomorrow be better for you? Morning or Afternoon?

Great! I will see you then. By the way have you ever been to our dealership before? Terrific, when you get here just have the receptionist page me.

Also if you could do me a HUGE favor, and for any reason you are going to be early or late, please give me a call, and if anything changes on my end I will do the same.

Thanks so much and see you on ___________________
Most of this should be done face to face.

You have only one thing to find out on the phone -

"Is this a real prospect?"

The second you are sure you know that, knowing you can't sell them if they are not in front of you, you close for the appointment. This takes skill, you have to sense the main hot button and indicate that if they come they will find what they are looking for - without saying anything.

What you currently do is the opposite of what I would suggest.
- by Gold Calling
Could you show me an example? This is my weakest area and currently at a 20% conversion ratio from phone to face to face. I hope to get it to atleast a 50% ratio. - by jrboyd
Could you show me an example? This is my weakest area and currently at a 20% conversion ratio from phone to face to face. I hope to get it to atleast a 50% ratio.
This is the hardest thing to teach, it is more a sense related thing. Once you have em on the hook, then reeling (so to speak) them in is relatively easy.

I cannot explain exactly how I know, I just know. And this is a profound or extremely strongly felt knowledge.

First, you script is poor to start, since they are calling you. They know the name of the dealership ... you simple answer with your name only; "Steven Burke."

Or, if you prefer "Steven Burke, how can I help you?"

Then they ask for information usually - right???

"Yes, Mr/MS _____________, I would be glad to help you. In order to do that better, I need to understand what you may be after a little better <don't pause!> ...

Here is where I can't tell you what to say after the pause.

Sometimes it would be this "is price the most important criteria for your purchase?"

Again, it is hard to teach this, as one script will never work for inbound calls. Why? Their request for info or what they said initially is how you figure out what to come back with ... the one thing we can teach you here is that you must gain control of the conversation at some point. After all, if all you do is answer questions they will keep coming. And this often defeats the reason for the visit.

One way to increase show ups is to arrange a 2 for 1 at a local restaurant ... one people would not go to often (fine dining). Then you can say; "They are worth $30 each but, the problem is, I only have a limited number of these left, do you want me to hold one for you?"

But - again - you can't sell them a coupon, you need to sell them a car. So you still need to have done what you should do first and use this as a closer.

All I can say is, I want to find out what their major need is and then close on it. You close by giving them the indication you can fill the need, more in how you say it than what you say specifically. And, since your script includes new and used, clearly, you do not care what kind of UP it is.

People buy cars because they have had another child and need a bigger vehicle, or; need a more reliable car with room for a baby seat, or; the kids are getting older and they are traipsing to the hockey game all the time and need a van to carry everything, or; their car is toast, or; they need a 2nd car, or ... the list goes on and on.

There is one main reason. Then there are the other hot buttons, price, financing, warranty, air bags ... even colour ... whatever.

Some where between learning the main one and the uncovering of minor ones you have to close for the appointment.

"What kind of vehicle are you looking for?" This can start things off. And "I see" or "really?" will keep them talking while you are watign for them to tell you in their own wrods what interests them.

If they say to that inital question; "apick up truck." You can say "did you just start a business, what do you need it for?"

Now you learn if they are replacing one or it is the first pick up truck.

Questions cause conversation ... in that conversation you learn what they need and then you can use that to get them in.

I hope this helps. - by Gold Calling
Have you ever read or listened to Joe Girard? I highly suggest checking out his work with automobile sales. - by rich34232
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.