Home > Approach > Different Sales Open?

Different Sales Open?

After my initial introduction on the phone with my name and company name I usually go into this:

I was calling to get some more information regarding your uniform program. Are you currently under contract with another supplier?

If YES:

When is your uniform contract up for review?

Then I usually find out when their contract is up and ask them when I should get back to them. I then offer to send some company information.

IF NO:

I was looking to provide you with a quote on your uniform business to see if we could save you money.

This is where they will begin the objections if they have them.

Should I be doing things differently. I find out if they are under contract because they usually dont care much since they are under contract. However I want to increase my chances with businesses that are not under contract.

Any insight? - by Jakobi
NO!!!!!!! Don't do it!!!!!! Always bad idea to lead with a question that can give you a negative response.

"Hello, Mr. Customer how are you doing today? GREAT!!! I was just giving you a call because I think I have found a way to save you some money on your uniform contract! Now when does your current uniform contract expire? And ......"

Dangle the carrot in front of the horse so you can get a face to face with the customer. Don't give to much detail but give enough just to keep them interested. - by jrboyd
Thank you for the response and the insight. I know I can improve in many areas and I will change that. Thanks a lot.

That is much better now that I see how you went about it. - by Jakobi
Are you currently under contract with another supplier?
Isn't the answer YES most of the time?

Now, put yourself in their shoes, is there anything in your approach that would indicate to them a real reason why they want to talk with you?

Saying "I was looking to provide you with a quote ..." isn't this what you want? Do prospective buyers buy the fact that we want to sell them or do they buy based on criteria of interest to them?

I will be very straight with you, I beleive you will get almost no where with this approach. Based on the type of companies you call on, the ones likely to have uniforms, they are almost all going to either do it internally - meaning they own uniforms - or outsource under contract.

The prospect will tell you, so why ask?

What you want to do is be creative. Provide a strong reason why they should speak with you. Maybe like this;

"Mr./Ms. ___________, my name is ____________ and the reason for taking a moment to reach you today is exciting indeed. We at ___________ have developed a program for substantial uniform users that is providing a yearly savings over ever other system in the local market today. In fact, it is more than possible that you too can realize up to 15% savings over what you are currently paying. <don't pause>

What I would like to do is meet with you, primarily to insure that we can handle your exact needs and there is little doubt that of that. Then I will be in a position to guarantee this hot program with the substantial savings.

Would one day next week work for you, say Wednesday or is Friday better?"

Fill in the blanks with the prospect's name, your name and your business name and you are laughing.

Good luck. - by Gold Calling
"Mr./Ms. ___________, my name is ____________ and the reason for taking a moment to reach you today is exciting indeed. We at ___________ have developed a program for substantial uniform users that is providing a yearly savings over ever other system in the local market today. In fact, it is more than possible that you too can realize up to 15% savings over what you are currently paying. <don't pause>

What I would like to do is meet with you, primarily to insure that we can handle your exact needs and there is little doubt that of that. Then I will be in a position to guarantee this hot program with the substantial savings.

Would one day next week work for you, say Wednesday or is Friday better?
Great script GC thmbp2;

Some advice that was given to me by a mentor may help you Jakobi

"Angles cut through resistance"

What GC has here is an angle, the more you have, the better your success. Everybody loves a story ;wi - by PiJiL
I appreciate all the help in sharpening my sales angle and I am excited about improving my approach. I have been trying this same way now and not really seeing any improvment so I am now trying to fix it.

I have to get their attention or offer a "benefit" as well as better open ended questions.

Now after i have their attention should I ask the open ended questions? In this industry is mainly price that matters but not always, especially with the economy its a great point to jump on.

I am trying to come up with some important questions:

How do you choose your supplier?

Is there anything you wish your supplier was doing?

What services are you looking for?

Trying to find the need or angle we can get in. Are these phrased in a good manner or would you approach this different?

Thanks a lot everyone. - by Jakobi
This is like insurance almost... everybody is covered... at least here they are.

I'd wonder out loud how durable his materials are maybe, how well they resist scuffing, how stain resistant, how wash resistant, or whatever, but I'd ask for an appointment to get his opinion on whether the quality of our materials is something that he is looking for, or if the quality is the same, are we using cheaper labor in uganda to save him money.... ok kidding.... are the textile folks in our plant in So. Carolina using the newest looms and such going to be able to give you the quality you need with the savings you'd desire.

But I'd look for areas that where we could agree are what he wants in a program/uniform and compliment him on recognizing quality and would he give me his opinion on what we have to offer.

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
I am trying to come up with some important questions:

How do you choose your supplier? NOPE!

Is there anything you wish your supplier was doing? Almost.

What services are you looking for? Ummm ... uniforms!
I added comments in burgundy above, after your questions.

When you actually get a meeting the style of questions you want to ask - the OPEN PROBES, they are effective. Over the phone, however, you can't sell, so forget this unless approach until after you sold the meeting and are in front of them. That is for starters.

Instead of the one above I marked as "almost", try this Jakobi;

"If you could waive a magic wand, somehow making the service you have even more perfect, what would you add or change?" - by Gold Calling
I added comments in burgundy above, after your questions.

When you actually get a meeting the style of questions you want to ask - the OPEN PROBES, they are effective. Over the phone, however, you can't sell, so forget this unless approach until after you sold the meeting and are in front of them. That is for starters.

Instead of the one above I marked as "almost", try this Jakobi;

"If you could waive a magic wand, somehow making the service you have even more perfect, what would you add or change?"
Ok thanks, how would you reply if they said everything is fine. Would I just move onto the next phone call?

Thanks. - by Jakobi
Mr Jones?
Yes it is.
Mr Jones this Jakobi calling from xyz uniforms, thanks for taking my call.
Based on the type of business you operate there at abc, I think we may have something that will be of benefit to you, I’m not sure but it’ll only take a couple of minutes to find out. Tell me:
What types of uniform do you presently purchase?
How many people do you employ?
How often do you replace…..?
What are the issues you encounter?
Who provides uniforms presently?
What is your current cost per person?

Thanks Mr Jones. Based on what you have told me, I think that we may have something that will benefit, benefit and benefit (add benefits relative to what you have found out. Could be reduce cleaning costs, add to uniform longevity, save up front costs, provide a better appearance for your staff).
Add close -
So that you can find out how to achieve these cost savings, would it be better for me to come along today at 3.00 pm or tomorrow at 1.00 pm?

Hope this is useful to you Jakobi - by marky
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.