Home > Personal Selling > Do you curse your Sales job?

Do you curse your Sales job?

Hello Friends! This question is aimed to have all your kind feedback, only for reasons to understand different prespectives about our Job SALES.

This question is rolling since the recession started & as it is becomming more difficult to convert leads into orders.

I am in sales since last 10 years & have worked into various segments of Industrial selling, corporate selling & now serving the Real Estate Market.

No doubt i enjoy my job, i love to sell, however the end result is not in my hands. I can put in my best efforts, however cannot compel the customer to issue an Purchase Order.

If i would had been an software engineer, then it is in my hands to execute the job i.e. the end result is in my hands, i will work for hours together to complete the job & hence the result is in my hands.

However in sales your success depends on the customer, you only can put in your best efforts in.............your views please...............

Nilesh - by Nilesh Supekar
No I don't. I welcome the opportunity to see anyone who will see me to hear what it is that I might be able to help them with. I'm always looking to someone help me out and give me their opinion on what it is I am offering.

Aloha... Tom :cool: - by rattus58
Hello Friends! This question is aimed to have all your kind feedback, only for reasons to understand different prespectives about our Job SALES.

This question is rolling since the recession started & as it is becomming more difficult to convert leads into orders.

I am in sales since last 10 years & have worked into various segments of Industrial selling, corporate selling & now serving the Real Estate Market.

No doubt i enjoy my job, i love to sell, however the end result is not in my hands. I can put in my best efforts, however cannot compel the customer to issue an Purchase Order.

If i would had been an software engineer, then it is in my hands to execute the job i.e. the end result is in my hands, i will work for hours together to complete the job & hence the result is in my hands.

However in sales your success depends on the customer, you only can put in your best efforts in.............your views please...............

Nilesh
I sell plumbing to homeowners who need repairs. Our jobs range from about $5,000 to $30,000. Most of our sales are closed in one visit. I am not selling the same products as you, but I hear the exact same number of people crying 'broke' as I have been hearing for 36 years. I usually chuckle and they cough up the money, anyway. We broke our all-time gross sales last year by 7% and this January has been a record high. I credit this to a positive attitude, more aggressive advertising strategies and perfecting the closing of sales with better sales-closing tools and techniques.

I am almost 60 years old and have been through many economic changes. I am originally from Massachusetts where real estate appreciation and the market has been tough for the past hundred years, compared to California and other states. So, I have a feel for what an average real estate market is. I think many people have been picking the low hanging fruit for many years and the trees bared an unusually high quantity. Today, the real estate market is at its 100-year average (I think) and we want it to be like when the market is hot. This weeds out the people who are not capable of reaching higher into the trees.

I never curse the market. The reason we are paid high amounts of money, as a boss, is to deal with making the changes necessary to overcome economic conditions. I am too busy, making changes to our advertising, and implementing these changes, to get angry. I think business would be boring if we did not have challenges.

I am also a real estate investor and purchased many homes and apartments since 1973. Even today, I am always looking for a new apartment building, and I believe there are millions of people like myself who have money and the following problem. For the past 36 years, every time I tell a real estate sales person what I am looking for they give me a few listings. I look at the listings and tell them I am not interested for various reasons. Then, I never hear from the sales person again.

Last year, a real estate agent told me he had a listing coming up for a 12 unit a few buildings from where I live. I told him I was interested in the building. He promised to call. A few months later, he got the listing, the building was sold by another agent, and my agent lost about $50,000 due to his split. I really don't understand how he could have made this error. I had purchased other properties from this agent previously.

I only mention this to you because I think a good agent can still find customers with money and make a lot of money. If you believe you can't then you won't, and I think you could make a database to sell more to customers, like myself, who need someone who we can tell what we want and the agent will constantly search his listings and send an email or something. I think would determine what a real real estate client is. - by pcplumber
Outside circumstances shouldn't have a major impact on your sales, UNLESS you let them.

OMG! The car industry is declining. No one is selling cars! No one wants to buy cars!

Thats what you will hear at most dealerships from the sales people, because they honestly believe that the economy is why they are doing bad. October was the WORST month in car sales for years. Yet if October was so bad, how is it I personally sold 2 Corvettes (one @ $118k and the other @ $82K) and the dealership sold a total of 6 for that month. Best Month we have ever had for Corvettes. The Economy is changing yes. What you did in the past may not work now. ADAPT. Kind of goes along with Darwin's Theory. If you can't evolve to better accomodate yourself to your surroundings then you will go extinct.

Remember the top paying proffession is SALES. - by jrboyd
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.