Home > Cold Calling > My New Cold Call Script

My New Cold Call Script

Jim. Mike from Tindell Financial Services. I know how much the economy is having an impact on (Construction) companies like yours. What we've found is that way too many organizations are paying way too much on their Health Insurance.

"We've been able to trim their expenses by up to 30%. If you're like other Small Business Owners, you're looking for dollars everywhere in your budget. Let's set up a time to see how we can cut your costs in this area. Sound good?" - by insagentmike
The concept is good but in my opinion it should be trimmed down just a little;

Hello Jim; this is Mike from Tindell Financial services. In times like these many construction companies and small business owners are struggling. I have had some success working with companies like yours by trimming their expenses as much as 30%. Is trimming your expenses something you would be interested in?

Your cold call message has to be short and to the point.

MP - by MPrince
I have not had a need of scripts for cold calling so I cannot be of much assistance other than to say the quality of the information you work from will have a measurable impact on the results you can expect. So, quality control your information regardless of the source. - by simperfile
I'd like to know how that is working for you too. In MY OPINION, you're setting the stage for immense expectation.

Your style is quite different from mine in a cold call, so I'm not sure me offering you my style is really appropriate, but one suggestion I would offer is I would ask your contractors if you could meet with them to get their opinion of your approach to helping them in trimming their burdensome medical expenses.

It's a very important market. We farm it to another department with my Property and Casualty Business, so I'm a little familiar with the market. A great place to be right now.

Much Aloha,

Tom shds; ;bg - by rattus58
If he has had some successes working with construction companies by trimming their expenses as much as 30%; that is something he may be able to do for this call as well. In my opinion. - by MPrince
Thank you all for the great reply's but unfortunately no one is getting it. If you can cast doubt on what a small business owner is doing with his health insurance without telling him he is stupid then you have something. Also I don't set up face to face appointments. I sell throughout my entire state. I can save 99% of small business owners money on there health insurance because they have not shopped for the new rates. I also show them how they can save money on there taxes also. I haven't had time to call because I have started doing more seo on my websites plus I have leads coming to me. Thanks for the help. - by insagentmike
mike,

you said you don't set up face to face appointments. does that mean you do your sales completely over the phone? how do your sales cycles work?

much success!

chris - by cpimpleton
Chris,

My sales are completely over the phone. I cold call business owners from 1 to 4 employees. Contact 1 is introduction and gathering information. Set appt to get back with them regarding there health quotes. Contact 2 we go over the plans doing a desktop share while they look at the plans that I have quoted. You either close them or wait until there renewal for health insurance is close and call them back and do an application. Total time takes about 3 weeks. - by insagentmike
If you can cast doubt on what a small business owner is doing with his health insurance without telling him he is stupid then you have something.
Hmmmm you know I'm a small business owner. I have many doubts about my health insurance. I guess I'm not stupid then... Good. - by rattus58
Hi Jim, this is Mike from Tindell Financial Services. I am calling to find out if you are open to talk to me about plan that could reduce your health insurance costs by up to 30% without giving up important coverage. Is now a good time to do that or is there a better time? - by jdedwa11
Hey Mile - I like jdedwa's revision. It's a bit more conversational. In the first few versions, you jump right into it without explaining why you're calling.

Here's how I might try it:
Hi Jim, Mike over at Tindell Financial Services. Being in your position, you may be familiar with us?

I was hoping to find some time to speak with you about your health insurance costs. I've actually been speaking to some of your peers recently, and in some cases they've been able to reduce their costs by up to 30%.

Can we set up some time to speak further? I'd love to get a feel for your challenges and share stories of how your peers have been able to reduce costs with us.

When is a good time to talk next week?

Now clearly, you don't want to ramble through all of that. Leave a pause between each paragraph.. make it conversational.

Just my two cents worth. I hope I was able to help.

Beth - by bethravery
I've noticed a theme recently with several of the posters here and it is a theme that I personally feel will kill sales regardless of whom you are talking too... attitude comes through in conversation.

If you consider your clients to be less worthy than you... you lose. If you consider your clients to be stupid, you lose for the same thing. If you consider your clients or anyone on the street to be less bright than you, it's only because your own light is so dim you can't see clearly.

Business owners have guts, determination, and if still in business today, smarter than AIG, GM, GE and a lot of other "smart" companies and live in houses a lot bigger than most sales people do, employ a lot more people than most sales people do, and are the nourishment that we live by.

This of course is MY PERSONAL OPINION. It belongs to me and me alone, and I am responsible for its audacity, veracity, or relevance.

Much Aloha... shds; ;bg - by rattus58
"We've been able to trim their expenses by up to 30%. If you're like other Small Business Owners, you're looking for dollars everywhere in your budget. Let's set up a time to see how we can cut your costs in this area. Sound good?" - by cocosan
Try this.

"Hello...I am Mike from Tindell Services. We are calling to let you know you may qualify to lower your health insurance costs by as much as 30% and sometimes even more. We wanted to get you some more information about this...are mornings or afternoons better?

Great how about Thursday at 1:00?"

This will work for both over the phone or in-person appointments. Everything will be done by phone, fax, email, snail mail or in peron. Works like a charm!! I would take out the word "Financial Services" if you can and use maybe just Tindell Services. As soon as you say "Financial" they will assume it's a sales call before you actually get into you script. - by garzawin
hi all!!!

if i may submit.... just a thought... all of these suggestions are good.... but, they all TELL intead of ASK!

is it possible that you will get a bit farther by asking your prospect about his situation, rather than assuming and telling. if you start a dialogue, three things will happen. 1) resistance goes down 2) rapport is instantly gained... 3) the prospect will give you the keys to HIS hot buttons. just have a conversation. guide the conversation to see if there is a fit... if so, proceed... you'll find that it's a walk in the park!

best success!

chris - by cpimpleton
I've noticed a theme recently with several of the posters here and it is a theme that I personally feel will kill sales regardless of whom you are talking too... attitude comes through in conversation.

If you consider your clients to be less worthy than you... you lose. If you consider your clients to be stupid, you lose for the same thing. If you consider your clients or anyone on the street to be less bright than you, it's only because your own light is so dim you can't see clearly.

Business owners have guts, determination, and if still in business today, smarter than AIG, GM, GE and a lot of other "smart" companies and live in houses a lot bigger than most sales people do, employ a lot more people than most sales people do, and are the nourishment that we live by.

This of course is MY PERSONAL OPINION. It belongs to me and me alone, and I am responsible for its audacity, veracity, or relevance.

Much Aloha... shds; ;bg
I share both your perception and your opinion. - by Ace Coldiron
hi all!!!

if i may submit.... just a thought... all of these suggestions are good.... but, they all TELL intead of ASK!

is it possible that you will get a bit farther by asking your prospect about his situation, rather than assuming and telling. if you start a dialogue, three things will happen. 1) resistance goes down 2) rapport is instantly gained... 3) the prospect will give you the keys to HIS hot buttons. just have a conversation. guide the conversation to see if there is a fit... if so, proceed... you'll find that it's a walk in the park!

best success!

chris
That sounds great Chris! So what would that look like? How would you open up the customer to share their issues? I read a good amount of sales material and so much of it is vague and difficult for me to pin down. I guess I learn more when I have an example.

I too am trying to increase my cold calling skills. Particularly the opening statement. It is difficult for me to come across as professional and yet not sound like every other telesales person out there. - by cjp231
It is difficult for me to come across as professional and yet not sound like every other telesales person out there.
A lot of food for thought in that comment.

It begs the question: What does someone sound like if they are coming across as a professional?

If you can analyze--and imitate--you're there. - by Ace Coldiron
My son and I listen in on each other make calls frequently (with a mute button on) and criticize each other as to how it went.

Aloha... shds; ;bg - by rattus58
Hi Jim, this is Mike from Tindell Financial Services. I am calling to find out if you are open to talk to me about plan that could reduce your health insurance costs by up to 30% without giving up important coverage. Is now a good time to do that or is there a better time?
Jerry, I live in Florida and we just don't talk like that down here. I have tried that and what I get is. No I am not open. I tried that when I was with Ari and it didn't work. We are just a different breed her. - by insagentmike
Ok. I changed my script entirely because I didn't feel it was getting the attention I needed. The new script is as follows.
Let me know what you think.

Hi John, This is Mike Tindell with Tindell Insurance here in whatever town and I have been showing small business owners how they can save up to 30% on their health insurance and put up to $6000 in the bank and not pay taxes on it. Do that every year until they retire. If I didn't catch you at a bad time I would like to talk to you about what you are currently doing about your health insurance and if I might be able to help.
Sometimes I throw in that I can show them how to legally take advantage of the irs.

Jim. Mike from Tindell Financial Services. I know how much the economy is having an impact on (Construction) companies like yours. What we've found is that way too many organizations are paying way too much on their Health Insurance.

"We've been able to trim their expenses by up to 30%. If you're like other Small Business Owners, you're looking for dollars everywhere in your budget. Let's set up a time to see how we can cut your costs in this area. Sound good?"
- by insagentmike
Hi John, This is Mike Tindell with Tindell Insurance here in whatever town and I have been showing small business owners how they can save up to 30% on their health insurance and put up to $6000 in the bank and not pay taxes on it. Do that every year until they retire. If I didn't catch you at a bad time I would like to talk to you about what you are currently doing about your health insurance and if I might be able to help.

Hi John, this is Mike Tindell with Tindell Insurance. The reason for my call is that I'd like to schedule a few minutes with you in order to get your opinion on what an HSA/HRA/FSA can do for your bottom line. I have no idea whether we can save you the 30% on your medical insurance that we do others, but I do know that we can put up to $6,000 of tax deductible and tax free dollars into your hands each year. Do you have a few minutes this morning so that we might explore the benefits of this program to you and your company?

Alternatively you might try "Do you have a few minutes this morning that we might explore whether or not this program will have a positive impact on you and your company.

Much Aloha.... Tom shds; ;bg - by rattus58
Hi Mike, I'm In Insurance so here's my 2 cents.
Hi this is Mike Tindell with Tindell Insurance. Could you help me out? (Wait for yes) I'm working on your quote and need to ask you a couple quick questions...most will enage you
I have no idea whether we can save you the 30% on your medical insurance that we do others, but I do know that we can put up to $6,000 of tax deductible and tax free dollars into your hands each year. Do you have a few minutes this morning so that we might explore the benefits of this program to you and your company?

Tony - by Tony45
Well thats an interesting segue.... :) thmbp2;

Aloha... Tom shds; ;bg - by rattus58
Hi John, this is Mike Tindell with Tindell Insurance. The reason for my call is that I'd like to schedule a few minutes with you in order to get your opinion on what an HSA/HRA/FSA can do for your bottom line. I have no idea whether we can save you the 30% on your medical insurance that we do others, but I do know that we can put up to $6,000 of tax deductible and tax free dollars into your hands each year. Do you have a few minutes this morning so that we might explore the benefits of this program to you and your company?

Alternatively you might try "Do you have a few minutes this morning that we might explore whether or not this program will have a positive impact on you and your company.

Much Aloha.... Tom shds; ;bg

Nice but we can't put up to $6000 of tax deductible and tax free dollars into your hands each year. I ran it through compliance and they said it couldn't be said. We can show you how you can put up to $6000 in the bank tax deferred. Also I only sell Health Savings Accounts to small business owners. I only cold call small business owners with 1 to 10 employees. Most of the time they don't offer group health coverage. This is only for the individual plans.

Thanks for the help. - by insagentmike
Thats really stange... HSA's are completely free of taxes for qualified medical expenses indefinitely. In addition, after you turn 65, you can use the money for other than medical expenses by paying the tax on it like an IRA but without any penalties. As long as you use the HSA for qualified medical expenses, even AFTER YOU BECOME DISQUALIFED for a High Deductible Medical Plan, and they roll over automatically from year to year, you can continue to enjoy the benefits of TAX FREE deductions for medical expenses.

Aloha.... Tom shds; ;bg - by rattus58
Thats really stange... HSA's are completely free of taxes for qualified medical expenses indefinitely. In addition, after you turn 65, you can use the money for other than medical expenses by paying the tax on it like an IRA but without any penalties. As long as you use the HSA for qualified medical expenses, even AFTER YOU BECOME DISQUALIFED for a High Deductible Medical Plan, and they roll over automatically from year to year, you can continue to enjoy the benefits of TAX FREE deductions for medical expenses.

Aloha.... Tom shds; ;bg
Correct! But the wording is that we can put the money into their Hands. That is what the problem is. We can show you how you can put the money into the account but, we can't put it in for you. In the state of Florida everything has to go through compliance. It is implying that we are going to put the money into your hands.

Reworded and it can be used this way.

but I do know that we can show you how you can get up to $6,000 of tax deductible and tax free dollars each year. - by insagentmike
Correct! But the wording is that we can put the money into their Hands. That is what the problem is. We can show you how you can put the money into the account but, we can't put it in for you. In the state of Florida everything has to go through compliance. It is implying that we are going to put the money into your hands.

Reworded and it can be used this way.

but I do know that we can show you how you can get up to $6,000 of tax deductible and tax free dollars each year.
Got it..... I love them compliance guys.... my son does that for CitiGroup ... :)

Much Aloha... Tom shds; ;bg - by rattus58
"My clients tell me I get them up to $6,000 in tax deductions and tax free dollars each year." See the spin? third party so to speak...
Stay Gold
Tony - by Tony45
or slightly modified....

Hi Jim, this is Mike from Tindell Financial Services......would you be open to a few new ideas that would cut some of your essential business overheads.......if it didn't cost you anything? - by helisell
Hello hello!

I hope I have put this in the right place, didnt want to start a new thread.

You guys are awesome.

I have been "grappling" with my TS experience of late. Past the honey moon period and getting frustrated.

I get handed scripts and comments on mine are negative. Its glaringly obvious to me that I need a better, question orientated method to stimulate dialogue. We are aiming for senior executives for major companies, so they are a tough lot.

Heres my latest (handed to me). I wondered if you guys would enjoy reading it over and I would be grateful if you could share you comments. The Goal is to book an appointment with a financial adviser.

Good Morning/Afternoon John, my name is X from X Consulting!

John, we are doing a complete pension review” for expats like yourself and we would like to offer you a chance to sit down with one of our consults to see;

o How your pension is performing in real terms,
o what your pension it is worth to “you” today,
o How much “your pension” will payout “to you” in retirement, and whether “you” think it’s enough.
o and what will be the tax treatment on it.

John, do you have a pension?

If NO…………, OK John perhaps we could make an appointment to discuss pension options for expats like yourself.

What day would suit you best next week, Wednesday or Thursday?

*Remember, If they are BRITISH and have a UK pension, ask them if they have heard of QROPS. (Qualifying Registered Overseas Pension Schemes.) And the benefits they offer.

Its expected they say "not interested" and I am supposed to turn them around by asking doyou have pension, do you know what its worth, how can you not be interested etc.

This IS NOT how I used to get success before. I asked, they said yes or no. Any no's I turned around never followed thru anyway. - by bodunchar
Hi...it looks not too bad in principle but....

You need to keep checking along the way that they are 'with you'

John, we are in the middle of a program doing pension reviews for expats. We're showing them how to make sure that there will be enough in the pot come retirement time.

Is that something that would interest you?

Then regardless of whether they say yes or no

We've been showing expats how, with a few simple adjustments, and a slightly different way of structuring things that they can make sure that they are not on the breadline at retirement time but actually enjoying a good standard of living.

Is this something you've given much thought to recently?

How's your pension been performing lately....do you know?
Quite a few people have found that their retirement pot isn't keeping pace in real terms....how's your doing for you?
Are you going to be taking a bit of a nosedive in terms of living standards come the big day?
Will the taxman be taking a big chunk before you get your hands on it?

Notice I've modified the language and tone?

This will work a lot better for you.

Good Luck - by helisell
Never use "..like yourself." - by Gary A Boye
Just to reinforce what Gary said about not using "like yourself"

It is extremely offensive.

Why would you assume that the people you've been talking to are just like THIS prospect?

If you said it to me on the phone I would either put the phone down or (more likely) tear you to shreds by asking you why you think you've spoken to expats "like myself".

I'M UNIQUE.....we all are.....that's what makes it so offensive. - by helisell
Very much appreciate your input thank you, its sounds very progressive to me!
I will let you know how I get on... - by bodunchar
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.