Home > Personal Development > When life gives you lemons, make lemonade

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade

It's no secret. The economy is down. Sales are down. What are we to do? Most of us were selling before the economy crashed, and we remember the good days. I as a car salesman remember selling 20 cars a month. Then one day.. BAMM!! Everything went down hill. But what most of us don't realize is that an Econimic Darwinism is taking place here. "Survival of the fitest" Look back at your sales. Look at how many you sold when the economy crashed and look at how many you are selling now. You will notice a steady increase in sales, for the most part. Now many people believe that its because the economy is getting better. WRONG. As humans we are proned to adapt to our surroundings. It's a survival instinct. The reason your sales are going up is because your skills have improved and adapted to the economy. Pretty soon, even though the economy sucks, you will be back to selling what you use to sell when the economy was doing great. BECAUSE you have adapted to this new economy. It's kind of like living here in South Texas where the winter's are an average of 60 degrees. You then decide to move to Michigan where the winters average -10 degrees. At first you are COLD, but guess what, your body adapts to the temperature, and pretty soon the "Cold South Texas Winters" where temps were 50 degrees, don't seem that cold. Same thing here. For those of you wanting to quit, DON'T. Let yourself adapt to this failing economy, because guess what? The economy will rebound. It always does. And if you have refined your skills enough where you are matching the sales you have in this slow economy to what you use to before, what do you think will happen when the economy rebounds, and the sales come easier? Promise you, you will come out of this bad recession with the biggest sales numbers you have ever seen. It's easy to be down when everything seems to suck, but become a pro in this economy and you will be a GOD when the economy rebounds. Hang in there guys and see you on flip side.
thmbp2; - by jrboyd
It's no secret. The economy is down. Sales are down. What are we to do? Most of us were selling before the economy crashed, and we remember the good days. I as a car salesman remember selling 20 cars a month. Then one day.. BAMM!! Everything went down hill. But what most of us don't realize is that an Econimic Darwinism is taking place here. "Survival of the fitest" Look back at your sales. Look at how many you sold when the economy crashed and look at how many you are selling now. You will notice a steady increase in sales, for the most part. Now many people believe that its because the economy is getting better. WRONG. As humans we are prone to adapt to our surroundings. It's a survival instinct. The reason your sales are going up is because your skills have improved and adapted to the economy. Pretty soon, even though the economy sucks, you will be back to selling what you use to sell when the economy was doing great. BECAUSE you have adapted to this new economy. It's kind of like living here in South Texas where the winter's are an average of 60 degrees. You then decide to move to Michigan where the winters average -10 degrees. At first you are COLD, but guess what, your body adapts to the temperature, and pretty soon the "Cold South Texas Winters" where temps were 50 degrees, don't seem that cold. Same thing here. For those of you wanting to quit, DON'T. Let yourself adapt to this failing economy, because guess what? The economy will rebound. It always does. And if you have refined your skills enough where you are matching the sales you have in this slow economy to what you use to before, what do you think will happen when the economy rebounds, and the sales come easier? Promise you, you will come out of this bad recession with the biggest sales numbers you have ever seen. It's easy to be down when everything seems to suck, but become a pro in this economy and you will be a GOD when the economy rebounds. Hang in there guys and see you on flip side.
thmbp2;
Hey, amazing post jrboyd.

Could you accept one suggestion about why sales started happening again other than you adaptation - in other words could we say it was for two reasons?

One- you adapted ... okay, we could envision that to some degree. Two - people held of from buying to see if; the Big 3 would collapse, or; their job would go poof, or; just because they were afraid. Sooner or later the old car acted up again or the factor that stopped them appears silly even to them and they were forced to buy.

In other words; economic slowdowns are caused by lack of movement of money. The worse it gets the less the public spends making it still further worse. This is a self fulfilling prophecy ... sooner or later whatever caused people with the money to buy to hold off suddenly occurs to them as not a good enough reason or they were forced to act.

Their need (necessity) or desire overcame their fear.

It is my experience that people do not suddenly become great ... it is a gentle process (sometimes something clicks and they are new people but this is not usually anything to do with exterior forces). And, having sold through slow times twice before, I think you are seeing what I would call a rebound affect right now.

I agree the economy has not recovered and will not until some of the tens of thousands who have been laid off go back to work but just because the economy tanked does not mean you don't need a new car.

Sure, you have had to adapt, that is no doubt working for you to some degree but only some. The rest I've already shared my theory on. And, may I say, thank God there is a rebound affect, can you imagine the state of the economy if people who had needs not only prolonged the purchase - as they have been doing - but did not buy at all? - by Gold Calling
The cry of “hard times” is heard at all times, and not just in these recession days and that is where you should refresh your knowledge of how to handle objections during your sales process.

“Times are too hard, I cannot afford to buy anything“- how often have you heard that in the last few months?

This objection is made during the most prosperous times, as well as during periods of financial depression. Customers are confronting sales people all over the world with this before even they had a chance to show them the products, or tell them how they can benefit of them.

It is seldom, however, that the objection is made seriously. Oftentimes prospects don’t have anything else to say. They don’t mention it seriously and don’t expect you to take it seriously.

So what to do?
Pay no attention to the cry of recession.

Go back to prospecting and find customers who want to buy in any market, and spend your time only with the decision maker.

Don’t forget that you create the value through how you’re selling, not just through what you’re selling. You can create the value in each step of sales process, but the most value can be created early in the process by helping customers to define their needs.

Use open-ended questions, use clarifying questions, and remember that great questions produce great answers.

Make it easy for customers to say “yes”.
Ask for the order. Ask for the order. Again, ask for the order.
You can use direct questions such as:
  • Are we ready to move on this?
  • When can we get started?
  • Shall I write up the order?
Use active listening skills. Ask for the feedback.
Remember to read buying signals.

Don’t forget to send a thank you note.
If you get the sale, send them a note thanking them for their order.
If you don’t get the sale, send them a little note thanking them for taking time to meet with you.

It is intelligence that makes times easy, and it is the lack of intelligence that makes times hard.

Go back to basics. Invest in your knowledge and sharpen your skills, that is the best way of not buying the cry of “hard times” from your customers.

Hope this helps. - by AlenMajer
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.