Home > Consumer Behavior > Change is what salespeople really sell.

Change is what salespeople really sell.

Salespeople are often asked, "what do you really sell?" as an exercise to get them to think about what or why their customers buy.

With that being said and on a different note, I will put forth the notion that what salespeople sell is "change". Would you agree? - by Slick
Change? How so? I don't quite understand how you figure that in the equation for what we sell.

I try to sell fear, catastrophe, and mayhem. Expense, deductibles and depression. Ok... maybe I sell antidotes. I know that we also sell security, comfort and dreams.

An auto salesman sells comfort, prestige, and safety. They sell economy, recreation and exploration. He also sells cars of course, but when he can offer you a reclining leather seat, surround sound, home-office communications, email and faxes... and of course the thrill of acceleration on a mountain road. True you can get all this in hyper-superstar-greenmobile, but what you're getting is really a rolling luxury environment... :)

Aloha.... :cool: - by rattus58
Salespeople are often asked, "what do you really sell?" as an exercise to get them to think about what or why their customers buy.

With that being said and on a different note, I will put forth the notion that what salespeople sell is "change". Would you agree?
I can kinda see where your going with that. Change of circumstances or product to bring about the solution of a need or desire. I personally wouldn't put it exactly like that but I can relate to why you would say that. - by jrboyd
jr. very nice explanation

Slick My understanding of change is the salesperson?Am I understanding correctly? With my product and services I sell myself first then my solution. (product and services) - by rich34232

With that being said and on a different note, I will put forth the notion that what salespeople sell is "change". Would you agree?
Do we sell "change" or is the fact that we are selling ourselves and our companies FIRST. Rapport, rapport, rapport. - by martykapp
It was much clearer in my own head. ;bg

Imagine how many people want or even need to lose weight but don't because they can't get themselves to do what needs to be done to achieve that outcome. They want to look good and they want to feel good but that isn't enough to overcome the status quo.

Now image that one of these very same people encounters a salesperson who sells them on a gym membership and personal training and before you know it the person is finally on the road to achieving his or her desired outcome to lose weight.

Did the salesperson sell looking good and feeling good or did the salesperson really sell "change"?

Was that more clear? :dun - by Slick
Why Looking Good and Feeling Good of course.... shds; ;bg ;bg - by rattus58
Did the salesperson sell looking good and feeling good or did the salesperson really sell "change"?
The salesperson is selling a Tool (gym membership) that could be used to bring about a desired change at a price that the person is willing to pay. The price is two-sided. It consists of a monetary exchange, and a commitment at the moment to devote time to using the gym membership to bring about the deired change.

Therefore, I don't think it is "change" that is being sold. However, if you are of the school that says we buy benefits, certainly that could be construed to imply that change is what we sell in the example you present. I am not entirely from that school. - by Ace Coldiron
In my industry (IT distance learning) I am selling change for sure. People who are stuck in a rut career wise, work unsociable hours, poor pay, etc are all looking to CHANGE their life. I offer them a way out which isn't cheap and involves significant commitment from them (usually 8-10 hours per week for up to 3 years).

If they want that CHANGE then they buy, if it is not that important to them they won't. Whether purchasing for yourself or a business you are doing it to improve something that surely = change.....doesn't it? - by Alex1
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.