Home > Education > What are Advanced Selling Skills?

What are Advanced Selling Skills?

Occasionally on this forum, references are made to "advanced selling skills". What constitutes those skills?

Profiles on this site are divided into novice, intermediate, and advanced. From the perspective of a novice, an intermediate, an advanced--what are your respective thoughts on what advanced selling skills are and how do they differ from other selling skills? - by Ace Coldiron
Ace-
Interesting question . . .

I think you would identify someone with advanced selling skills by their success in closing deals, customer satisfaction and client retention. Someone who has a strong track record with ALL three components would possess advanced selling skills.

What those skills look like may vary but I believe they should include:
1) Listen before "pitching"
2) Listen before answering objections
3) Listen, Listen, Listen
4) Complete honesty
5) Ability to honestly evaluate your own selling skills
6) Be in a constant state of improving your skills by learning from others

Just a few of my thoughts.
Kathy - by Kathy Hokunson
Ace-
Interesting question . . .

I think you would identify someone with advanced selling skills by their success in closing deals, customer satisfaction and client retention. Someone who has a strong track record with ALL three components would possess advanced selling skills.

What those skills look like may vary but I believe they should include:
1) Listen before "pitching"
2) Listen before answering objections
3) Listen, Listen, Listen
4) Complete honesty
5) Ability to honestly evaluate your own selling skills
6) Be in a constant state of improving your skills by learning from others

Just a few of my thoughts.
Kathy
Nice, Kathy. A well thought out perspective. - by Ace Coldiron
Pretty much go along with Kathy...

Someone who understands sales, does a good job at it, and makes a good living is probably a professional, or positioned in an industry that assures success... selling popcorn at the movies for example.... :)

Aloha.... :cool: - by rattus58
My thoughts are that having Advanced Selling Skills must make the sales person even more successful than intermediate guy.
I think therefore that someone who has attained this advanced level, is someone who has a deep understanding of how to interact, behave and influence all customer types.
This level of attainment is often the subject matter of advanced training and coaching. - by marky
Ace,
In addition to all the previous comments, I also believe someone that demonstrates Advanced Selling skills has the ability to develop/conduct needs assessments on their "clients" without it sounding as if it was an interrogation but able to determine with close certainty the customers needs versus wants. - by tharman94
Ace,
In addition to all the previous comments, I also believe someone that demonstrates Advanced Selling skills has the ability to develop/conduct needs assessments on their "clients" without it sounding as if it was an interrogation but able to determine with close certainty the customers needs versus wants.
I agree with that. Certainly that is an advanced skill. - by Ace Coldiron
My thoughts are that having Advanced Selling Skills must make the sales person even more successful than intermediate guy.
I think therefore that someone who has attained this advanced level, is someone who has a deep understanding of how to interact, behave and influence all customer types.
This level of attainment is often the subject matter of advanced training and coaching.
In other words, we could say that someone with less than this level of professionalism cannot make suggestions as to what advanced skills could be/are.

You can't name (or describe) 'em if you don't use 'em. - by Gold Calling
I have two more advanced selling skills.
The abilty to engage different personality types.
Follows up consistently with all clients and prospects - by Sharon
I will throw in one here. One of the toughest sales situations to deal with is when the customer believes strongly and displays a certain attitude in regards to this belief; when it is contrary to what we are selling.

This can be an objection in some cases, like a perceived drawback. However, expereince has proven that most often this behaviour shows up when we are trying to introduce a benefit. As a result it is in response to and a reflection of that unaccepted benefit. That of course means Skepticism.

Indifference is the hardest attitude to deal with but most don't even try. Skepticism is the 2nd hardest to deal with and the great majority of sales people fail in this regard, relying on the numbers game and NOT skill at the end of the day.

Follows up consistently with all clients and prospects
Since a diligent person without even basic selling skills experience can do this, I would not say it was an advanced skill. That does not mean to take away form the importance of f/up. - by Gold Calling
In other words, we could say that someone with less than this level of professionalism cannot make suggestions as to what advanced skills could be/are.

You can't name (or describe) 'em if you don't use 'em.
I believe it would be difficult for an intermediate or novice to make suggestions as to what advanced skills could be/are. Difficult--maybe not impossible in a minority of cases.

However--on this thread all levels are being asked. Let's see what happens. - by Ace Coldiron
I believe it would be difficult for an intermediate or novice to make suggestions as to what advanced skills could be/are. Difficult--maybe not impossible in a minority of cases.
Poor choice of words on my part. I might have said "If you don't know 'em, you can't name 'em" .... as some may be aware and not practiced ... true.

However--on this thread all levels are being asked. Let's see what happens.
Absolutely, wholeheartedly applaud the thread choice Ace, good job. - by Gold Calling
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.