The term Sales Management is self-explanatory. It refers to how managers, well manage their sales force to increase sales and efficiency to increase profits. But how exactly does one manage his or her sales force and what exactly do they do? Well the most important thing that they have to is to evaluate talent and hire salespeople who are well organized and can make sales. A sales campaign is nothing more than the quality of its sales people and it is the job of the sales manager to evaluate and hire the best talent who will have a positive impact on the business.
Apart from that, a sales manager must be well experienced in sales and have strong motivational skills. It will be the job of the sales manager to train and coach his or her sales people and strong sales skills and lots of experience are very important in coaching and training anything. The sales manager must also have motivational skills as if the manager can motivate their sales people, this will result in increased sales and profitability.
These are the three main aspects of Sales Management, evaluating talent, training and coaching your sales people, as well as to motivate your sales people to make more sales and work harder to increase profit and revenue. Apart from these three main keys of Sales Management, an effective sales manager must also have good record keeping skills and accounting experience as he or she will be required to keep track of all sales that are made by all members of his sales force and to keep track of what all his or her sales people are doing.
Sales Management is a vital aspect of any sales campaign. If management is poor and the sales team is not well led, this will result in lack of motivation and decreased sales as well as limited and ineffective training resulting in a decreased faith and trust in the company by the customer. It is very important that the sales manager heading any sales campaign is an effective leader. If not, this may cripple the sales campaign unless the salespeople hired do not require training or motivation.
So, we return to the question, what is exactly Sales Management? Well, sales management may be managing a sales force but there are many parts to managing a sales force. Sales Managers must motivate and train all people that they hire as well as make sure that they hire sales people who can make the sales and benefit the company. Sales Management is a crucial part of any business and thus it is very important that the sales manager hired is very well qualified for the job.Recommended Resources
- Yale School of Management - The mission of the Yale School of Management is to educate global leaders for business and society. We pride ourselves in providing a hard-edged business curriculum in the context of the forces shaping the world economy today -- from globalizing markets to information technology to entrepreneurship to the changing environment of regulation. We offer an exceptional education in general management, preparing students for leadership in any sector of the economy, with particular strength in finance and strategy, but with complete course offerings in all the fundamental disciplines such as accounting, marketing, operations and organizational behavior. It is our intention to provide students with the greatest intellectual experience they've ever had, regardless of what career they're interested in. It is our goal to impart excitement because we opened our students' minds to new ideas and helped them to develop an appetite for learning.
- The Rady School at UC San Diego - UC San Diego's School of Management was established in 2001 and was named the Rady School of Management in January 2004. An executive education program in collaboration with the School of Medicine began in Fall 2003, and several others were offered in Spring 2004. The Rady School opened its doors to executive MBA students in fall 2004, and to Full-Time MBA students in September 2005. The Rady School will pioneer the education of tomorrow's business leaders through an innovative curriculum, led by internationally recognized faculty. Seeking to rapidly obtain top-tier status, the school leverages UCSD's strengths as a preeminent research institution - especially its outstanding programs in science, engineering, medicine, economics and international relations.
- Clemson University Department of Management - Offers undergraduate and graduate programs in management, management science, and information systems.
- Google Corporate Information: Management - Corporate Information. Google Management. Co-founders Larry Page, president of Products, and Sergey Brin, president of Technology, brought Google to life in September 1998. ... than 5,000 employees worldwide, with a management team that represents some of the most ... led that company's strategic planning, management and technology development as chairman and ...
- Colorado State University - Department of Management - The primary mission of the Department of Management is to provide students, at the undergraduate and graduate level, with a high quality education. ... communications, decision-making, supply-chain management, international management, and strategic management ...
- Management - Wikipedia - Since its creation in 2001, Wikipedia has rapidly grown into the largest reference website on the Internet. The content of Wikipedia is free, written collaboratively by people from all around the world. This website is a wiki, which means that anyone with access to an Internet-connected computer can edit, correct, or improve information throughout the encyclopedia, simply by clicking the edit this page link (with a few minor exceptions, such as protected articles and the main page). Wikipedia is a registered trademark of the non-profit Wikimedia Foundation, which has created an entire family of wiki projects. On Wikipedia, and its sister projects, you are welcome to be bold and edit articles yourself, contributing knowledge as you see fit in a collaborative way. So go ahead!
- American Management Association - No one knows training better than American Management Association. Since 1923, the business community has turned to AMA for the practical training and business tools needed to improve individual and organizational performance - and achieve bottom-line results. Today, AMA is a global not-for-profit, membership-based association that provides a full range of management development and educational services to individuals, companies and government agencies worldwide, including 486 of the Fortune 500 companies. Each year, thousands of business professionals acquire the latest business know-how, valuable insights and increased confidence at AMA seminars, conferences, current issues forums and briefings, as well as through AMA books and publications, research and print and online self-study courses.
- Tom Peters Company - is Tom Peters management consulting and training firm founded in Palo Alto, California, in 1984, and now operating internationally from hubs in Boston, London, and Manchester, Vermont. Our client work typically involves applying one or more of Toms core strategies to a specific business context. Our style is what you would expect from Toms brand: provocative, high-energy, and having a strong bias for action! Our client promise? Custom solutions! Innovation, energy, and change! Top team alignment! Projects with real impact! Great leadership! High-performing professionals and business teams! Engaged people who embrace change! We deploy our Intellectual Property from an evolving blend of talented and committed people, insightful diagnostic tools, and powerful implementation systems. In short, Re-imagined business excellence!
- Fast Company - Management, Leadership and Career Advice for Business Executives - Fast Company magazine is celebrating its 10th anniversary. Launched in November 1995 by Alan Webber and Bill Taylor, two former Harvard Business Review editors, the magazine was founded on a single premise: A global revolution was changing business, and business was changing the world. Fast Company set out to chronicle how a new breed of companies create and compete, to highlight new business practices, and to showcase the teams and individuals who are reinventing business. Today, the business world continues to change, and Fast Company continues to evolve as well.
- Boston University School of Management - Boston University School of Management develops builders and leaders with a curriculum fusing the art, science, and technology of business. Our programs emphasize management as a system of interdependent functions, decisions, people, and technologies.
- Krannert School of Management - Purdue University's Krannert School of Management is one of the premier business schools in the U.S. Krannert offers Undergraduate, Graduate and PHd degrees for those interested in becoming leaders of technology-driven, globally competitive enterprises.
- MIT Sloan School of Management - MIT Sloan School of Management, one of the world's leading business school, provides undergraduate business education, graduate business education, and executive education that shape innovative leaders who will create, redefine and build cutting-edge products, markets and organizations."
- School of Management Binghamton University - U.S. News & World Report has ranked Binghamton University among its top 50 public universities in the nation for the last seven years. It has also been rated as one of the best values in the country by both Money Magazine and Kiplinger's Personal Finance Magazine. In addition to being both high quality and affordable, Binghamton University's School of Management is large enough to have a full array of programs but small enough for you to get to know your professors and classmates on a personal level.